Guitar slide in issue

Hello there,
I would like to show a “slide in” line before the D-sharp (second selected note) in this guitar part.

It needs to be short, not a long slide between the two notes.
Activating the Slide In property, though, has no effect.
According to the Online Manual, one should specify the same string between the two notes, which I did (specifying String 4 (D3)), to no avail.
I have the feeling I’m missing something obvious to simply get a dash before the second 1.

Have you ever encountered this and found a way around it?
Thank you!

Can you share the project, or at least a duplicate version containing these bars?

Fingering slides only appear between two notes that have the same fingering - they’re for drawing slides between fingerings, not for drawing a slide to the notehead. You probably want the “Lift (straight)” jazz articulation.

2 Likes

Yes!
That’s it!
Thank you Richard!
@Lillie_Harris : I would’ve shared it gladly, but Richard solved it. Sorry for the late reaction, but I’m still at the school where I teach and connectivity has been given me troubles all afternoon.

Sorry Richard, I’ve had to remove the Solution mark because, upon checking, the jazz articulation you suggested is connecting to the notehead.
What I’m looking for is a way to have the slide appear just before the digit, as if one could write “—1” as a fingering.
This is something used very often in guitar notation.

This looks to me like the difference between “Use the 1st finger to slide to D#” and “Slide to D# using the 1st finger”… :wink:

1 Like

As I said before, you’ll need both notes to have the same fingering if you want a fingering slide. Then you can set this Engraving Option if you want the short line instead of the long line:

Yes, but will it work for notes so far apart?
In this case the 1 stays on the fret even if something else happens in between.
The two notes already have the same fingering, but they are not one next to the other.
Is there a way to achieve this?

I believe that should be fine as long as Dorico can work out which notes are on which string - it will look back to the previous note that was on the same string, not just the previous note. (Though there may be a maximum distance it looks backwards, for performance reasons.)

Please look at the attached project.
Open the Comments panel and go to where the first one is.
Both notes have the String property activated and the second note has the Slide In activated.
What is missing?
Greensleeves Tremolo.dorico (1.2 MB)

Which two notes are you trying to join?

The ones highlighted in the first post here above

Ah, right, yes, so there is indeed a maximum limit on how far away the notes can be, which is 3 notes, so I think you’ll have to use a generic horizontal line here instead.

1 Like

Could this limit be made user accessible, while keeping reasonable limits (say 20-30 notes, I don’t know), to avoid performance issues?

I’m not a programmer, but I don’t think it would be a totally trivial change - it’s not just about finding the correct start and end notes, but also positioning the line.

Right… I was thinking only about the option when one draws the line next to the second note. Let’s forget about this, then :slight_smile:

I would find a small increase in notes to be very helpful as in the example below - even just one more!

1 Like

I would second (or third) the suggestion that the slide-in notes be allowed to be farther apart. I run into this quite a lot, and have to fake it.

1 Like