Guitar Transposition interval for staff notation bug

I’ve stumbled across a bug with the new Transposition interval for staff notation for fretted instruments.

I setup a new project, and changed the guitar tuning to D-Standard (DGCFAD, i.e., de-tuned a major 2nd). I want this to behave like a B-flat instrument, so I set the Transposition interval for staff notation to B♭2.

The notation now works perfectly, allowing me to switch between concert and transposed pitch. I also want the main chord symbols to reflect the same transposition, so under Layout Options—Players—Fretted Instruments, I checked Use fretted instrument transposition: For notation and main chord symbols.

The problem is that the main chord symbols are transposed by a major 2nd, but the wrong way. In the example I posted below, the notation for both the trumpet and guitar is correctly transposed, but the chord symbol for guitar gets transposed down a major 2nd to Cm instead of up a major 2nd to Em. The trumpet’s chord symbols is correctly transposed to Em.

Thanks, Alexander. We’re aware of this one and it should be taken care of in the first maintenance update, coming soon. Sorry for the inconvenience in the meantime!

1 Like

No worries! Great to hear it should be fixed in the next maintenance update. Congrats on the update! Really looking forward to testing out all the new features.

After some further use, I’ve noticed another bug. When the above setup is used, and the layout is set to concert pitch, note input gets transposed up by an octave. This happens both when inputting into the staff and the tab. For example, adding a note one the first fret by number selecting a string and typing “1” results in the 13th fret being inputted. Additionally, when the layout is transposed, the octave shift is further shifted (by a major 2nd in this case) resulting in the 15th fret.

Not sure if you are already aware of this as well as it’s related, but I thought I’d include it just in case.

As I’m sure you are aware, guitar is a transposing instrument sounding an octave lower than written. Like many notation programs, the concert pitch settings in Dorico keep octave transpositions in instruments such as piccolo and Double Bass.

Check to see if on playback the notes that appear too high actually produce sounds in the proper octave.

Thanks for this - in this case we’re aware of this one too, but it’s good to be sure.

1 Like

Just came across another bug in regards to this. When the instrument transposition is set to C♯, it behaves as if it was set to C♭, and vice versa. The issue does not appear when set to D♭ or B. This is happening in a brand new project.