H 5 is completely Awesome !!!!!

Thanks for the fast and detailed reply! Now I can’t wait to get off work and try this out!

Not a problem, I know it’s long and perhaps missing some fine detail. You should be able to get the gist and figure it out on your own from what I listed above, but if not, don’t hesitate to holler and I’ll see what I can do for you. I literally spent two days straight making quite a few of these drum player programs ready to load on the fly and there are still so many more I can do. After awhile it became an obsession and I got anxiety over all the options, so I just had to stop :laughing:.

Would I be able to use these presets I create in B-Box?

I don’t believe so, though I have never tried and not nearby to do so. I think the presets created with Drum player are strictly for drum player, though they are the same, so why would you want to use b-box instead? Both have the same options available to them, unless I am missing something here?

I like how the new B-Box has effects for each drum sound and how you can choose from 128 samples for each track by selecting the “sound” value and just pushing the up and down arrow keys. Each drum sound has it’s own track and you can modify saturation, effects, cutoff, decay and pan for each one. This is a game changer if I can figure out how to use my own samples with B-Box

Hi Cantankerous,
I’m sure you’ll remember this thread:

Can you confirm if the sluggishness remains in Halion 5 or if there has been an improvement?

Halion 5 looks great, I will update if I know this problem has been fixed.

Thanks,

I just figured it out on my lunch break. If I open up an instance of B-Box, then go to the program tree and expand it to see each instrument (kick, snare, hi hat, etc), delete whatever is inside of each layer and replace them with my own samples, click save and rename the preset, I can use B-Box with my own samples.

The new presets I create show up in MediaBay as long as I only change the preset name and leave everything else the same. Now I fire up B-Box, choose my own preset and I can use it with my own samples while applying the effects and using everything else!!!

Woooooot! :smiley:

You are totally right! I had it in my head that these separate effects etc, were available in the Drum Player as well, but checking now, they are not! Drum player is great for laying out the drums, but that is it about it. B-Box certainly has the crown for being able to process each layer separately from the others, all from within the same instrument. I am a little disappointed now actually, that the Drum Player isn’t the same… :frowning:

Feature request perhaps?!?!

Nicely done! Great job! I just noticed this message, after I sent my previous! Now I wish I had created all those presets for the Drum Player, for B-Box instead! Damnit! :imp:

Very interesting question, that I am not sure how to answer to be honest! I had completely forgot about this issue, as, well, HALion 5 has just been working so well for me! This mean, that I have not noticed any sluggish behaviour at all while using the instrument! I am a little hesitant to have you go and buy the program just on my comment however, as no mention was made to the performance of HALion 5 being improved, or that this sluggish drawing behaviour has been rectified, but personally, it runs so well, I would have to recommend it, hands down, if you like the feature set it has to offer! Just please don’t break out the flame thrower if the performance isn’t up to your personal satisfaction! It does run quite sweet though!

Yeah, I haven’t popped open the mixer with compressors and such loaded with all the meters pumping… I should probably do that. But, unless it was totally killing your system, this update is well worth it even if the performance issue remains IMO.

I think its improved. Gui wont freeze as it did on halion 4…
I am on mac so not sure how it behaves in windows

Thanks for the fast reply cantankerous. :slight_smile:
I’ve pretty much made up my mind that I will upgrade soon anyway, the upgrade includes Halion Sonic 2 so I was thinking I could use that if Halion 5 needed some work. In any case I would be surprised if Steinberg had let the problem remain. But your comments are encouraging, if you haven’t noticed anything then it sounds like the problem has been fixed. It was mainly the Halion mixer page that was causing issues for me.
I’m looking forward to updating. I’m selling Komplete 8 to fund it. :smiley: (don’t use it much).

I have just loaded up a project that I remember lagging when the mixer was open in HALion 4, it had 22 channels going and well, I just can’t fault it! It ran buttery smooth and without a hiccup! Like I said, nothing stood out as being a problem, until you brought it to my attention, so things are definitely improved, if not perfect now!

Don’t hold off, go get HALion 5 NOOOOWWWW! You won’t be disappointed! :slight_smile:

Ok, I have looked more into this. Not surprisingly, the B-Box presets open with The Drum Player being a loaded module from within the preset. You will notice the reverb and delay FX used, are actually set up manually, as is the auto filter, at the bottom of the program tree. The problem is, you cannot create the macro page needed for the B-Box interface, which allows you to have the additional functionality, if you create this manually. If you open up a B-Box preset, the macro page will show the drum pattern playing and if you open the drum player module found within the same preset, you will notice it is playing the exact same pattern, so we know these go hand in hand. I really wish one could create a macro for the B-Box page to gain its additional functionality because, being able to select different sounds per lane, is super helpful, as are the additional processing and FX available, that the plain Drum Player midi module, just can’t do.

I have wanted this functionality since HALion 4, where one could create their own macro page, to display key and limited functions to control on the fly, in a GUI that is not cluttered with other, possibly unneeded parameters, which get listed if you are in the zone page for instance.

I also would like to add my positive comment about Halion 5. It has the right balance between sampler/sample-player, sound design tool and synthesizer. The integration, in my case into Nuendo 6, is absolutely superb. Halion 5 feels mature not like a quickly done update and the sound quality is top.
Please make it reading Padshop Pro settings and allow the user to use other IRs for convolution.
Halion 5 shows what Steinberg is capable of.

Well, I’m glad I’m able to at least use my own samples. There was a bit of tweaking involved, mainly changing each sample to one-shot and making changes to the modulation matrix to match everything in the preset. But…

The only thing I haven’t figured out is how to get the Decay Knob in B-Box working with my samples.

You’ll need to reset the Amp Envelope for each layer where you’ve replaced samples, then the Decay knob will have an effect again.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!

Can anyone tell me if I can upgrade my Halion 4 EDU, with the regular Halion 5 Upgrade in the online shop which costs $99? Or do I need a Halion 5 “EDU” Upgrade? Please tell me I want to buy it! :unamused:

http://www.steinberg.net/en/education/educational_products.html
If you look in the “Limitations” section, in the text box with the big exclamation point, it says, “Updates and upgrades from the EDU versions are available for the regular price.”
I will leave it up to you to interpret it.
HTH
J.L.