Hairpins still disappearing in parts - in Dorico 4.0.20

I think this topic was posted already in the past, but I am afraid, the huge problem of hairpins disappearing in the parts is very unfortunatelly still not corrected in Dorico 4.0.20:

if hairpins don’t have enough space in the parts, they just disappear completely:
Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-23 um 10.28.21
If I then manually give more space, it appears, but doesn’t connect over the barline (although they are grouped!)
Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-23 um 10.28.37

Strangely for example in this example its shown for the first gesture, but not for the second
Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-23 um 10.29.42
what is REALLY written in the background but not showing:
Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-23 um 10.29.54

This is highly problematic, because if one works on an orchestra score with many instruments, where this appears over and over again it takes hours and hours of detective time to find these spots (layouting the parts one doesn’t realize, that there is something not shown, because… you don’t see it…so one would have to know the full score completely by heart with each detail to know from the parts, that something is wrong). So it risks, to have lots of these problems then in a rehearsal, when the players have other information than the conductor.
Furthermore it takes tons of layout time, to adapt this each time manually.
I would find it in this case MUCH better, if Dorico would show a collision in between the dynamics, because then at least one sees, that theres something not looking perfectly and can correct it, but luike this its almost impossible to find out, where these elements possibly could disappear.

Does anyone have an idea how to solve this problem (without just comparing each instrument score and parts, bar by bar, wich takes weeks for a huge orchestra score)?

I think this is a very basic thing, that there should never (if not consciously made by the user) disappear something in the part which is in the score, so I hope very much, that this will be corrected very soon.
Thanks for your help!

1 Like

Could you attach an example project here that illustrates the problem?

here it is (look at trombones bar 64 + 71):

Right, I see. Unfortunately this is a known problem with objects that have a minimum amount of space required (e.g. hairpins) that occurs when they are positioned in the space at the end of the bar. For technical reasons, Dorico is not currently able to enforce a minimum amount of space between the final note in a bar and the barline - though we hope to improve this in the future. As a workaround, you could allow your hairpins to cross the barline:

Once the hairpin crosses the barline then Dorico will be able to ensure that there is enough space for it to draw.

Thanks Richard, for your idea with the workaround. I hoped and tried it, but the problem, is, that now with a quasi finished layouted score it causes tons of new problems on other places like this:
Bildschirmfoto 2022-03-23 um 13.48.03

which would mean that I would have to completely relayout the whole set of parts…
which would probably be another week of work,
So I guess I have to keep it like that and hope for a fix in the future… or do you have any other ideas?

Right, yes, if you’re dealing with something which is already partly-finished then it’s tricky to weigh up the different workarounds. One thing worth knowing is that the behaviour for whether a hairpin stops before or after the barline can be set independently on each one (overriding the Engraving Option), using the “Barline interaction” property in the properties panel - that may help fix up some cases.

Thanks Richard, I will try this on the spots that I’ve found.

This is still a huge issue in Dorico 5… The biggest engraving issue I encounter. @Richard_Lanyon Where is that option for allowing hairpins to cross barlines? I can’t find it.

See the Tip at the bottom: