Half / Double note durations

Dear People,
I am trying to double the duration of my notes, but because there are a lot of different bar numbers, everything is completely in chaos after. Is there a possibility to also double the duration of all bars (e.g. a 3/4 Bar becomes a 6/4 bar)?

B

Welcome.

1. Make sure Insert mode is switched on .
  2. Change you time signature (shift-m 6/4)
  3. Select all your notes.
  4. Write>Edit Duration>Double Note Duration

(Note this will not work if there are tuplets around)

Hi Janus,
thanks for the fast reply. Unfortunately it is a very long piece with changes of bar numbers everywhere - do I really need to extend ALL bar numbers (and all length of expression, e.g. trills, dynamics, slurs) manually?
B

Grid attached items (dynamics, text) will all have to be moved manually, but slurs and ornaments should adjust automatically. Tuplets really complicate things.

I would (probably) just bite the bullet: make a copy of your original file - engage insert mode - delete all time signatures - extend all durations - manually add back new time signatures… Dorico will happily keep track of all this!

1 Like

I know it’s quite a niche feature, but the inability to double or halve the rhythmic placement of chord symbols is the first thing I’ve come across in Dorico where it would’ve taken significantly longer in my workflow than any other notation software I’ve ever used. As it was, it was much faster for me to export the file as an XML, download Musescore, install it, open the XML, double the length of the chord symbols there, reexport the file as another XML, open that in Dorico, and copy them over… than to manually copy each individual chord symbol to its new rhythmical position. It would be nice if these subtle features made their way in there eventually :slight_smile:

1 Like

I am a new user of Dorico, coming from Sibelius.
I really enjoy this software, and happy to have switched to it, nevertheless I must confess I am quite disappointed not to have this simple functionality of doubling or dividing the tempo.
It is so easy to do in Sibelius.

I have tried the Insert + double duration method, but it can be quite a long calculation for one stave, and if I select many staves, Dorico crashes.
At the moment I export the file to Cubase in xml, switch the channels to clock mode, change the tempo, export the xml file and then open it in Dorico… ouf…… some informations are lost… it is not satisfying.

I hope the Dorico team will soon consider to implement this very useful functionality in a simple and efficient way.

You can set a keyboard shortcut or jump bar alias to double duration–pretty fast in my experience.

Edit: I now see that this is an old thread that has covered my point already.

the problem is that with the current Dorico version, performance of doubling note duration has deteriorated considerably and up to seemingly hanging the system altogether as you have found. Previously the performance was generally OK. The team is aware and it will get fixed in due course. It’s something I use all the time in my current project and, added to the fact that triplets don’t work properly, (any idea when this will finally get sorted?), it’s among my few pet peeves at the moment…

I’ll see if I can get Dorico to work for me here.
Typical needs are converting longer/smaller passages of 4/8 to 4/4 and Vice Verca.
And not destroying later material :slight_smile: