Halion 4 & 3

Is there anything that Halion 3 does that Halion 4 doesn’t?
Just want to check before I sell my Halion 3
All info appreciated.

Cheers
David

I thought it was still possible to use HALion 3 with the HALion 4 license?

<Sorry for double post (clicked impatiently)>

<Sorry for triple post (clicked not impatiently, but frantically)>

1.) Halion 3 will read Akai Discs from the CD directly. Halion 4, so far does not. You must create an ISO image of your Akai disc onto your hard drive and read it that way.

2.) Halion 3 allows reading of FXP files directly, Halion 4 does not. You must import these and convert into Halion 4 to be read.

3.) Halion 3 had native mono outs, Halion 4 only supports stereo outs. This is a big deal if you are doing drums/percussion/bass etc which are played back in mono. You will have to play these back in stereo and set the panning to mono on the output channel. Doesn’t sound like a big deal, but this doesn’t allow you to use mono based plugins properly as technically the playback channel is still in stereo.

Could you explain how this panning thing is done in Cubase please? :slight_smile:

Daniel

Does H4 have the auto-audition like H3 does? (in the browser)

Select the channel in question, right click on the panning section in the inspector and choose stereo dual panner. Ctrl + click on both the left and right portion and it will center them both to the center.

Thanks Alot :smiley:

Daniel

Thanks to all that was helpful and yes I noticed that you can still run Halion 3 on the H4 licence. Wasn’t sure as I eventually decided to upgrade my HSonic licence.

Cheers
David

I believe a later version license of a particular product enables use of the earlier versions.
(The reason is probably so that you could still get to older material in case of obsolete functionality.)