HALion 5 vs. Sonic2

I read in the write-up for H5 that there were new instruments included; however, there is no solid number of how many come with an upgrade from Sonic2 to H5.

There was a “hint” that some of the extra instruments might be same ones that come with Sonic2. I love getting new instruments to play with, and have acquired quite a few Steinberg VST add-ons to work with Cubase 7.5 (which I think is the greatest thing since sliced bread!). However, in this instance I am unable to determine how many more I get should I lay down another $99 for this upgrade.

Part of me wants to do it, and another part says to wait until I know what I’ll get. I understand that if I wanted to create new samples, it would be a useful tool - but I’m not a DJ: I create music the old fashioned way … I play it.

Any ideas/information? I await your response. Thanks! :confused:

The answer to your question depends on what you already have. If you already have HS2 AND H4, I do not believe upgrading to H5 will actually give you any new instruments (presets). It would just allow you to modify those presets that you already have in HS2 in H5. If you have HS2 but DO NOT have H4 already, then by upgrading to H5, you would gain all the H4 content, which is a fair amount of presets but, some might say, “old news”.

In my opinion, if you already have HS2, I would not recommend upgrading to H5 for content. The reason to upgrade, in my opinion, would be for the advanced editing possibilities that H5 gives you.

HTH

Not to mention the ability to import your own sample files and the far more customizable interface.

Thanks to all who provided the information re: H5 vs Sonic2. I went ahead and bought H5, and I like the extra flexibility it offers. Now I just have to figure out how to incorporate it into my current and/or past work.

Steinberg users are the best! :smiley:

Man I’ve had it for months now, and I am still at the stage of using preset patches and bread & butters.

How do you get over the hump and into actually using it? I feel like I could probably get more out of even the standard sounds, if I was better capable of digging in deeper. I would like to use it for longer samples rather than throwing everything into Battery, even perhaps replacing dumping audio straight into the arrangement.

(I still can’t get over how nice it is to have my HSO library in here to layer over. But now I need to get dirty and make those into true KS combo sets.)