Halion 6 + other instruments slow to load in C11

Hi all, hope that you’re keeping well.

I’m currently using Cubase 11 and have a rather frustrating issue with loading instruments, namely Halion 6 and Halion sonic.
Halion 6 currently takes about 20 seconds to load the GUI, this happens in C11 but also in standalone mode.
I have a laptop with the same setup and this works faultlessly with the instruments loading in around 2 seconds.
I suspect that the issue is with the settings somewhere but don’t really know where to look. I’ve tried moving the Halion data to another drive but makes absolutely no difference. Is anyone having similar issues? or any advice?

Many thanks in adavance

Nick

It’s the same for me in Cubase 12. Especially Halion 6 which takes forever to load. I have searched and made all the updates. I even disabled HiDPI and modified the settings in Mediabay.

Same here. I’m on Windows 10 (21H2).
AMD 3900XT
64gb Memory
AMD Radeon RX 6600 (Adrenalin v22.11.2: Driver v22.20.29.10)

It started when I installed Cubase 12 and updated everything HALion and Groove Agent to go with it. Seems like some of the HSSE libraries were also updated. (All through the Steinberg Download App).

HAlion plugins seem to work and sound fine, but clicking to open the UI takes forever before it finally shows up!

Happens in Cubase 12, Dorico 4, and also Bidule (A non Steinberg host). Starting a stand alone instance also takes longer to pull up the main UI.

I’ve just now noticed that something is off with my AMD graphics card installation (realized it when I was hunting the specs to put in the header). I suppose this ‘might’ be the issue. I’m off to see about fixing that, and will follow up if it improves things.

Got my graphics drivers sorted.

No help.

Before the move to Cubase 12 and Dorico 4, the HALion (SE, Sonic 3, or H6) UI would open INSTANTLY. I was even automating popping them open and closed in live gigs (triggering Generic Remote Marcos through controllers and/or MIDI tracks looped back into the remote system).

Now those projects keep playing, but the view stops ‘scrolling’ and I get the ‘busy’ mouse cursor for a good 10 to 20 seconds before the UI shows up!

I could be wrong, but I suspect it has something to do with the new licensing situation. It’s like the UI is waiting for permission from somewhere to show himself! Who knows…

I found a solution that worked for me, and that you can check out.

What I did was to install WinDbg and then run a Freezedump file in that program. I got these messages:
*** WARNING: Unable to verify checksum for ysusb_asio64.dll
*** WARNING: Unable to verify checksum for ysusb_bulklib64.dll

And some warning about EmbeddedBrowserWebView.dll.

So the first thing was that I went to my installed apps and and did run a repair of Microsoft Ege WebView2 Runtime.
Then I uninstalled Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver 2.1.3 and downgraded by installing the 2.0.3 driver instead.

(I have the UR44 from Steinberg as an external soundcard.)

And guess what…Cubase opened up without any freezedumps and everything is fast. Halion 6 loads and opens up in a couple of seconds.

Thanks!

Interesting. I’ll give it a try.

I’m currently running older M Audio Delta 1010 interfaces on said machine with only one driver option (worked perfectly with Cubase 11.5 and HALion stuff prior to the new licensing changes), but I have some others I can try.

The browser thing is curious.

This is not part of the crash, though. All crash logs have those lines.

Reinstalling the driver fixed things though, it looks like. No crash log was included in @Jan_Ekbom’s post which could have verified…

Thank you for telling me, and I have to admit that after shutting down Cubase and start it again, the same issue with a new freeze dump and slow loading time of Halion 6. So sorry for my too early Hooray.

I finally got it to work as intended and it’s as easy as to turn off the internet connection. I had an idea about that connecting my computer to my router with an ethernet cable would solve some interference issues with Cubase and WiFi, but it turns out that when I inactivate my internet connection Halion 6 response is immediate.

This is from the article " Windows: How to set up and optimize a Digital Audio Workstation"

• Remove or disable unused components (WIFI, webcams, printers etc.).

Go to Settings > Network & internet > Advanced network settings and then choose inactivate Wi-Fi or Ethernet or both, depending on your type of connection.

And for me a solution when it comes to watching instruction videos on YouTube while I’m in Cubase or WaveLab, is to download videos for watching offline. We should be focused on the music in our DAW and not be distracted by other things. So it can actually be a good thing to be forced to turn off internet.

1 Like