Halion 7 a lack of imagination

Although the new update is all but nice there should have been NEW things an evolution of FM
there should have been sample operators in the FM algorithms since halion is a sampler so to create new textures it is textures that we are after .
traction’s F’em has 11 operators 2 of them are sample operators plus noise operator
also other kinds of operator “relationships” such as ring and am modulations and where is FS from the FS1R and RCM from the SY99 my casio VZ1 has 8 operators with fm and ring modulation from 1989 any kind of the synthesis technologies can be an operator , what about multi synthesis operators?
what we have here are the teams from Yamaha and steinberg giving us another NI FM8
the same old kind of sounds most of them are useless in a musical content as they are acting as musical piece by themselves implying rhythm harmony and melodies by pressing a single note
after all these years of waiting of what halion 7 might be ?..
you have possibly the best sampler and you have the “mother” of FM (Yamaha) what comes naturally?
is the fusion
personally I’m not that impressed and also where is MPE? maybe in the next coming years?..

@Gregio, I could say that I would lack imagination if I were unable to create interesting sounds with such an Instrument.

I like the idea that we can import or reproduce the original sounds of these FM type instruments. This module is very easy to use and with HALion, you can stack dozens of DX7s if you want and modulate them as you wish, it’s a matter of imagination.

In addition, it is possible to combine with this or these FM modules the syntheses already available in HALion. This means that I can create one or more sounds combining FM synthesis, Subtractive synthesis (Analog Oscillator), Wavetable synthesis (Wave Oscillator), Granular synthesis (Granular Oscillator), Sample-based Synthesis (Sample Oscillator) and Ring Modulation Synthesis (Ring Modulator Operator) and you can combine these sound syntheses with other functions such as filters, envelopes, effects and modulations.

Do we really need more than 8 operators to stimulate our imagination? It is already a challenge to create a sound including all these possibilities…

Seriously, this FM module is a long wanted addition and it’s very well designed and pretty true to its origins. For those who don’t have one in their VST library, HALion becomes a very interesting option considering all it has to offer.

However, I totally agree with you regarding the MPE implementation. I want this to happen as soon as possible. However, it is still possible to create an MPE sound with a lot of patience and a good understanding of how MPE works.

I only know of one sound library called Dimension V which uses this implementation and which was made by Lucien Moerkamp. Take a look there.

2 Likes

@Rene_L
By combining you mean layering?
what i mean is Frequency modulating one engine with the other such as sample operators
samples being part of the FM algorithm
all these FM tech in Halion 7 is very similar to FM8 from NI what is new? and that is about 20 years old
and it is not the number of operators, is what these operators are outputting
take a look at Traction’s F’em
i have an SY99 from 1993 that does uses user samples and i know that this is a completely new sound exploration territory , it is called RCM real time convolution and modulation but my SY99 user’s ram with it’s memory maxed out is only 3MB!!! …

@Gregio, I was actually talking about layers, but also about combinations.

F’em has only 8 operators with 2 sample oscillators, a noise generator and two filters per layer for a total of 4 layers. Of course, an arpeggiator, effects, modulators for each layer. Although I don’t know the instrument, it still seems very interesting to me. However, I don’t see how it is so different and what makes it so exceptional compared to HALion’s FM Lab that is not limited to 4 layers. You can really make lot of noises with it.

In my opinion, HALion has a lot more to offer if you consider other syntheses and the possibilities of combining them with FM synthesis.

But I also have to admit that F’em is a great instrument and it could be a great choice for someone who doesn’t own a virtual instrument or FM type hardware.

@Rene_L
you are right, but these kind of techniques have been with us for decades and FM is not a new thing correct?
FM Lab is not a new thing if you compare it say with FM8 , isn’t it?
also if you think of exhausting the possibilities of any synth you are again wrong it is impossible not even for the most simple ,
we have limited abilities and the point here is not to overwhelm the user with possibilities
most of them useless but to be straight to the point that is music after all .,
So looking it from a musical perspective music is made out of : Rhythm, harmony and melody
all these patches that do all these things in context are mostly useless why because I’m the composer
and i am the creator of these elements if that is not then the machine is
so what is left ? we need to move forward we need new textures and expression methods
FM is great but it needs evolution after all these decades of me too patches
the evolution of FM is in the Operator level …

Thanks, working on an extended version, with new sounds tailored for Halion (sonic) 7. Will take a bit of time though :sunglasses::wink:

1 Like

@lulu_m,

It’s really good this idea to offer a new version of this library. You have already done an outstanding job with the current version. I can’t wait to hear the new sounds. You should contact Steinberg so that your library is part of the HALion libraries and can be offered to everyone at a fair price.

Personally, I am more comfortable with a set price than a donation system when the products come from individuals or small companies who have put in the time and effort. On the other hand, when Steinberg offers free libraries, I take it as a form of recognition towards the customer and I appreciate it.

Of course, it’s up to you to do things as you feel. One thing is certain, you have been very generous. THANKS!

Renel

1 Like