Halion not triggered by external keyboard!

Greetings! I just installed Dorico and I can insert notes and get playback but can’t trigger sounds with my external keyboard connected via USB. Is there a place to define this within Dorico? I’d like to play my keyboard against rhythmic elements.

Also, when I choose to hear an instrument, Dorico thrust my volume to max out… not aa pleasant surprise - how do I set an appropriate volume setting for playback w/o Dorico throwing it to max out?

Thanks,

Raymond

To prevent the audio engine from setting the volume to the maximum level, go to Edit > Device Setup, click the Device Control Panel button, then in the Core Audio settings dialog, switch off ‘Set Device Attenuation To 0 dB’.

Your keyboard will echo sounds back during MIDI input, but there’s no “MIDI thru” functionality as yet, though this will be coming soon.

Daniel - I have gone to the device control panel and unchecked “Set Device Attenuation To 0 dB” with no avail. The issue with MIDI - I’m just trying to input notes via my keyboard through Halion… not wanting to generate sounds from a keyboard. I want to be able to play lines with a patch in Halion, then orchestrate them…

Thanks,

Raymond

The option in the Core Audio Device Settings dialog definitely works, so make sure it really is switched off.

I’m afraid you can’t currently route MIDI directly through to HALion Sonic’s window.

Daniel - I’ll try again… do you have to relaunch Dorico or the project for it to kick in after its unchecked? I also had this issue with WaveLab 9. I’m on an iMac with an Apogee Duet… maybe it has to do with one of these products.

I look forward to having the ability to route MIDI through to Halion Sonic’s window. With some updates, Dorico looks to be the flagship notation program!

Raymond

That particular setting should take effect right away, but quitting and restarting Dorico after changing it should do no harm.

Daniel - Curious - is it just an issue with halion at the moment? Ive got Play (EW) and Kontakt (NI). If I choose these for players/playback with I have the ability to input notes via my keyboard?

Thanks,

Raymond

You should be able to input notes with your keyboard regardless of what VST instruments you have loaded; the issue is only what you will hear echoed back to you when you play notes on your MIDI keyboard.