HALION SE2 delivered with Dorico

Hi both musicians and Dorico experts,
Starting a Piano Solo Project lets pop up the Halion SE2… with default “First Contact” - a synth sound that’s nice, but has nothing in common with a piano sound…
If I click on “Edit”, there appers the following pop-up window: No Edit Layer Page Found- followed by" make sure…" Copyright 2011… Steinberg

Is it from Cubase6? And how can I switch over to the latest version?
Greets
Pianopitt
p.s. After downloading the test version, I bought the DVD version and installed it from there - Win7

Normally, if you create a project from the Solo Piano template,then HALion Sonic shall immediately load the piano sound and not ‘First Contact’.

First thing to try is, stop Dorico, go to C:/Users//AppData/Roaming/Steinberg/VSTAudioEngine_64 and delete that folder completely.
(but if you created a user whitelist for VST2 plug-ins in there, then please make a backup copy first).
Then start Dorico again, that VSTAudioEngine_64 folder shall get recreated again and with it the MediaBay starts to scan anew for all available sound patches.
This may take some time, so startup of Dorico might be a bit slow.
Try again the piano project, still wrong sound patch?

If still not, please invoke the Windows Control Panel and under ‘Programs and Features’ look for everything starting with the name Steinberg.
Is there ‘Steinberg HALion Sonic SE Content’ and ‘Steinberg HALion Symphonic Orchestra VST Sound Instrument Set’ listed?

I think the version installed with Dorico is HALion SE 3, and if you are in play mode (ctrl-4), under the Play menu, there is “Apply Default Playback Template”. If the player is correctly set to play the piano, the default sound should be Yamaha S90ES Piano.
[Edit] Sorry, my reply was written at the same time as Ulf’s

I deleted the VST_Audio folder, restarted Dorico, but the result is the same as before. Default player is HALION SONIC SE 2, not SE 3!!

Under Programs and features 'Steinberg HALion Sonic SE Content is not listed, but 'Steinberg HALion Symphonic Orchestra VST Sound Instrument Set is listed!

Greets

Peter

Dorico currently installs with HALion Sonic SE2. SE3 is available for free download somewhere on the Steinberg webpage, but contents-wise (sound patches) nothing changed. With Dorico 2.0 we will change to SE3 as default player, until then you need to fetch it yourself.

But the fact that ‘Steinberg HALion Sonic SE Content’ is not installed on your machine explains the trouble, because that is where the piano sound is contained in.
So please run the Dorico installer again. When you come to the point where it says ‘Customize’, click on ‘HALion Sonic SE’ and choose ‘Reinstall’ on the right, then continue as normal. When finished, please check in the Control Panel if the Content is listed as installed.

Alternatively run the Steinberg Download Assistant, click Dorico 1 and download Halion Sonic SE for Dorico.

Thank you Ulf for the precise information. I did not remember having upgraded to HALion SE 3, probably because I have not found any difference with SE 2 ! :wink:

Reinstallation solved the problem :smiley:

Pianopitt

The most ‘obvious’ difference is that you get a stand alone version of the SE Player with a MIDI player/recorder built in.

Less obvious differences are:
The HALion family of instruments are now more open to 3rd party content developers, so…

1. SE 3 now works in other DAWs besides Steinberg’s own. So as long as you have your Dorico (or Cubase/Nuendo) license on the system to access the content that comes with it, you can now use SE in other DAWs. I.E. You can now load the VST2.x version of SE3 into Sibelius or Finale and use your Basic and Halion Symphonic Orchestra HALion content there.

2. Halion 6 can now create content that will work in SE. So SE3 and beyond will serve as a ‘free player’ for those wishing to distribute “HALion” libraries.

3. The SE3 installation includes a new ‘library manager’. This doesn’t mean much when it comes to managing the stuff that comes with Dorico, but if you add any ‘third party’ HALion content in the future, this is one of the ways it might be managed.

That’s very interesting, Brian ! Thank you for sharing all this knowledge. It might give me some ideas !