Halion SO not loading instruments

Hi,
I recently downloaded Dorico Pro 3, and I’m having some problems with HSO.
I’ve attached a link to a short video showing what is happening. → - YouTube
The problem is explained in detail in the video description.
Thank you very much for your help,
~Tom

I saw that you downloaded the HSO contents, but did you also run the installer?
If yes, please create again a new project from string quartet template and then choose from Dorico’s menu ‘Help > Create Diagnostics Report’.
That creates silently a zip file on your desktop, please attach it here. Thanks

Hello Ulf, thanks for your reply. Sorry in the delay.

I ran the installer, all to no avail. Here is the diagnostics report you requested

Thanks for your help,

~Tom
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (330 KB)

Hi Tom, thanks for the data.

Dorico does not recognize HALion Symphonic Orchestra (aka HSO) sounds at all, only the most basic sounds.

What if you start the Steinberg Library Manager (which gets installed along with Dorico), does that one recognize the HSO library?

There is a folder called C:\Users<yourname>\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\VSTAudioEngine3_64
Stop Dorico and delete that folder, what on the next program start will trigger a rescan of all contents files on your disk.
Because of this also the startup will take a little longer than usual.
Does HSO then still not get recognized?

Sadly, it’s still not working.

Do you have on your harddrive the file C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound\FCP_SMT_027_HSO_Presets_01.vstsound ?

And in the folder C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALion\VST Sound
are there any files with ‘HSO’ in the name, e.g. FCP_SMT_003_HSO_Clarinet_Solo.vstsound ?

Those 2 folders are the default install location for the HSO files.
If they are not there, could you please search you computer, if they are somewhere else to be found.
You could use the Windows Explorer for it, select a drive and in the search field put the file name you are looking for.

It’s also worth trying to let the Dorico contents installer run once again.

I have an extremely similar file
C:/Program Data/Steinberg/Content/VST Sound/FCP_SMT_005_Reverence_ImpulseLibrary_01
And
C:/Program Data/Steinberg/Content/VST Sound/FCP_SMT_005_Reverence_ImpulseLibrary_03

When I go into C:/Program Data/Steinberg/Content, there is no ‘Halion’ folder. Just the VST Sound Folder.

I have searched for files with HSO in the name and I’ve found nothing.

I have tried reinstalling the Sound Library through the Steinberg Download Assistant.

I’m not sure what could have happened

Yes, those other two files are fine, they are for the convolution reverb REVerence, which is also a plug-in of Dorico.

But you are definitely missing the HSO contents files. Are you sure that you really ran the installer?
Just downloading via the Download Assistant is not good enough, you need to open the downloaded file and run the installer program,
otherwise the contents will not get copied into the pertinent places.

I ran the installer located in C:/User/myusername/Downloads/Steinberg/WIN64/Dorico Pro 3 Sounds Installer/HALion_Sonic_SE_and_Content_for_Dorico_Pro_3.3.1_Installer_win/HALion Sonic SE/HALion Sonic SE, with the last file being a windows installer package

No, that what you ran is only the the installer for HALion Sonic SE, but that is missing all the contents files then.
Instead you need to double click the Setup.exe from that same folder, that will - besides HALion - also install the contents.

So please execute C:/User//Downloads/Steinberg/WIN64/Dorico Pro 3 Sounds Installer/HALion_Sonic_SE_and_Content_for_Dorico_Pro_3.3.1_Installer_win/HALion Sonic SE/Setup.exe

I know, it’s confusing. I raised internally a ticket in order that we reorganize the file layout to make it more obvious that users must only execute the Setup.exe and nothing else.

I ran the setup.exe and it said the following:
“There are no operations to perform. Click Back to customize the installation, or click Finish to end the installation process.”
This is getting stranger and stranger

Then I can only offer to have a screen sharing session via TeamViewer, so we can have a look together. Please send a mail to ‘u dot stoermer at steinberg dot de’ and we can clarify the details.

I have emailed. Thank you very much for your help

The problem has been resolved. Thank you very much to Ulf for his help.

Hello, I believe I may have the same problem with Dorico 3.5 (though the OP’s youtube video doesn’t exist anymore). I have executed C:\Users\User\Downloads\Steinberg\WIN64\Dorico Pro 3.5.10 Sounds Installer\Dorico_Pro_Content_Installer_win\HALion Sonic SE/Setup.exe and it says everything has been installed, but no sounds are loading in the HALion Sonic SE3 window (see picture). I suspect the issue is linked to the fact that I didn’t bother installing the sounds for the last update (3.5 for me) because I hardly ever need them. Now I do need them for something, I’ve installed them separately a long time after originally updating.

Your screenshot shows the Mix page, what do you see when you klick on Load

This:

(The instruments in my project are soprano, baritone, horn, harp, cello)

Have you applied a Playback Template from the Play menu?
I always try that first after a program update.

Yes (HSSE + HSO). I also clicked ‘load sounds for unassigned instruments’. Neither changed anything.

Hi @BPB , please have a look at this thread and also execute the mentioned diagnostics script and post the resulting zip file here. Thanks