HALion Sonic 7 not loading in Dorico 5

I recently downloaded Dorico 5, and am about at my wits end trying to get HALion 7 to work. I’ve triple checked all the updates, redownloaded everything… I can’t figure out why it won’t load. Here’s the error message I get whenever I start a project:

"No valid license detected for HALion 6.

Please connect your eLicenser and click ‘Retry’.
Click cancel to stop loading the plug-in.

Make sure to have an up-to-date version of the License Control Center."

What’s confusing is that HALion 6 isn’t on my computer anymore, I downloaded HALion 7. If I go into Play, and hit the “e” to bring up the interface, nothing happens. What am I missing here?

I’m not sure if it will have an impact, but have you checked the Steinberg Activation Manager App?

Hi @joshplotner , could you please do from the Dorico menu Help > Create Diagnostics Report and post the corresponding zip file here? Thanks

Hi Ulf,

Attached!

Thanks,
Josh
Dorico Diagnostics.zip (530.7 KB)

Sooo many times. I’ve gotten dizzy from going in a circle between that, the eLicenser, the Download Assistant, and Dorico itself. Especially since basically none of them cooperate if another is open.

Thanks for the data, @joshplotner .

According to the logs you have installed HALion Sonic SE 3, HALion Sonic 7 and HALion 6. If you go to Dorico’s Preferences dialog and choose the Play tab, you will see the option ‘Default HALion plug-in’ which in your case is set to ‘Use best available’.
Now, HALion Sonic 7 is new than HALion6, but still HALion6 is regarded as the better one, because you have more possibilities tweaking the sounds.
So if you change the option to ‘use preferred’ and below that change ‘Preferred HALion plug-in’ to ‘HALion Sonic’ then it should work for you.

Thanks for the quick response! I tried your fix, it didn’t work though…

Should I just uninstall Sonic SE 3 and HALion 6 then?

If it’s relevant, I’m coming straight from Dorico 4 where I had no problems.

Also I’ve updated to 5.0.2, that didn’t help either unfortunately.

It is worth a try. And if you are willing to do it, yes, try it out.

So I deleted both, did a restart. HALion seemed to be working for 2 minutes, then that error popped up again and we’re back where we started.

Also if I hit Cmd-, to bring up preferences after hitting cancel on the error message, the VST-Plug-Ins menu pops up, is that intended behavior? Once I click anywhere in Dorico Cmd-, acts normally again.

Screenshot attached, as well as another diagnostics just in case.

Dorico Diagnostics.zip (597.0 KB)

If the audio engine is in focus rather than Dorico, you’ll see the Preferences window from the audio engine, rather than Dorico.

According to the logs you still have HALion Sonic SE 3, HALion Sonic 7 and HALion 6 installed.

Actually, can we have a remote screen sharing session, I think that would speed things up.

Sure, we can do that. Any chance you have some time today? I’m in New York, could probably do any time until 5pm here.

2 posts were split to a new topic: HALion 7 not loading

A post was merged into an existing topic: HALion 7 not loading