halion sonic and halion sonic SE

I haver purchased cubase 6 and halion sonic SE comes with it. I own Halion Sonic since it came out. Should i uninstall Halion Sonic SE after cubase 6 installation? I tried that but having issues with presets missing etc. Also i dont seem to find a way to play Orchestra through Halion Sonic. Only with SE.

It seems as Cubase relies on HALion Sonic SE somehow. You can expand your possibilities by adding HALion Sonic but its not capable to replace it. HALion Sonic SE seems to have apart from the GM sounds other Programs than HALion Sonic.

K4

I wouldn’t bother uninstalling the SE version, just leave it be. SEe it as a sample player that you just won’t use, and it IS tucked away under the “Synth” menu. :slight_smile:

Over the years, I have tried to organize all these files ending up everywhere, in logical ways. But it seems everyone has their own ideas on where things should be. Just like the Start menu in Windows. Some people want items organized by vendor, some want them in type order, etc.

On Windows 7, it would seem that Steinberg is trying to tidy the directory stuff up. The “VST3 Presets” folder in our “Documents” (which is YOURs, so to speak) folder, the factory presets under “ProgramData” (which is hidden, by default) and the plug-ins under “Program Files”, seems logical! :slight_smile:

Elecktrobolt

On Windows 7, it would seem that Steinberg is trying to tidy the directory stuff up. The “VST3 Presets” folder in our “Documents” (which is YOURs, so to speak) folder, the factory presets under “ProgramData” (which is hidden, by default) and the plug-ins under “Program Files”, seems logical

My additional observation here is that on Win7 there’s also the Users*username*\Appdata\Steinberg\Content directory, in mine I found a VST Sound subdirectory
(with .vstsound files being used by the later Steinberg plugins like Halion Sonic, Halion Sonic SE, The Grand, plus REVerence reverb, Loopmash, HSO, Groove Agent ONE)

My understanding of the difference between the Win7 C:\Programdata directory and the Users*username*\Appdata directory is linked to whether the program is for all users/global (programdata) or specified users (Appdata) so the structure is linked to the Windows 7 security design.

Cheers
David

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/ukisvdev/archive/2010/06/22/storing-application-data-with-windows-7.aspx
http://blogs.msdn.com/b/cjacks/archive/2008/02/05/where-should-i-write-program-data-instead-of-program-files.aspx?wa=wsignin1.0