Halion Sonic re-install woes

COPIED FROM GENERAL CUBASE FORUM (I THINK I SHOULD’VE POSTED HERE)
NOTE TO FORUM ADMIN - PLEASE FEEL FREE TO DELETE POST IN GENERAL CUBASE 6 FORUM IF YOU FEEL I’VE MIS-POSTED!

Well, I’ve got myself in quite a mess!

I hope at least one person will take the time to try and help me. Here’s the problem:

After a crash necessitated a complete re-install of Windows 7 I needed to obviously re-install Cubase, which was the most recent version of Cubase 6. I make a point of keeping all my install exe files on a different disk to my Windows OS, so I thought this would be plain sailing. However, the files I had turned out to be update files (v6.0.2 19/05/11 and v 6.0.3 19/08/11) Now, I work on a cruise ship and have very limited internet access (satellite, very slow and £10 for 167 minutes!) so I decided not to download the full latest version, but instead install Cubase 5 (which I had on disk) and then upgrade from that later. I also decided to take the plunge and install the 64-bit version. A bonus here (I thought) would be that I would be able to use the VSTi ‘Halion Sonic SE’ which came with Cubase 5.

However, after installing Cubase 5, I found that my registration number would not let me activate it, as the reg was only for Cubase 6. Luckily, we had a port day yesterday (Madeira in Portugal) where I was able to find a nice fast free wifi spot and so I spent all day downloading the trial version of Cubase 6 (as well as 97 Windows updates, 30-odd driver updates and countless other apps that I needed!) I’ve left it at 6.0.0 for the moment, as I know there’s an upgrade to 6.0.5 but I lost the upgrade file in the crash (I hadn’t yet transferred it from my DOWNLOADS folder to my PROGRAM INSTALLERS folder - naughty boy!)

So now I have both Cubase 5 (x64) and Cubase 6 (x64) on my laptop. I’ve also installed Toontrack EZDrummer.

I thought I was being clever in that I decided to install all my VST data (VSTi’s, track presets, etc, etc) to a separate partition, as I remember having problems before. However, the installer for Cubase 6 seems to have put the content all over my laptop, so now I don’t really know what should be where.

As far as I can work out - here’s what I have:

IN MY USER PROFILE:
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Content
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 5_64
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Cubase 6_64
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\HALion Sonic SE
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\HALion Sonic SE_64
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\HALionOne
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\HALionOne_64
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\MIDI Loops
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\MixConvert 2
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Pattern Banks
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\SMTGVideoEngineHelper
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Track Presets

OF WHICH THE FOLLOWING SEEM TO BE INSTRUMENTS:
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound\Drum Loop Expansion 01.vstsound.lnk
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound\FCP_SMT_001_LoopMash_Loop_Set_01.vstsound
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound\FCP_SMT_001_LoopMash_Loop_Set_02.vstsound
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound\FCP_SMT_001_LoopMash_Loop_Set_02.vstsound.lnk
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound\FCP_SMT_005_Reverence_ImpulseLibrary_01.vstsound
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound\FCP_SMT_005_Reverence_ImpulseLibrary_03.vstsound
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound\FCP_SMT_005_Reverence_ImpulseLibrary_03.vstsound.lnk
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound\FCP_SMT_078_HSSE_GM_Presets_01.vstsound
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound\FCP_SMT_089_HSSE_Basic_Synth_Presets_01.vstsound
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound\Groove Agent ONE 01.vstsound
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound\Groove Agent ONE 02.vstsound
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound\Groove Agent ONE 03.vstsound
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Content\VST Sound\Groove Agent ONE 03.vstsound.lnk
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Content\HALion\VST Sound\FCP_SMT_001_HS_Synths_01.vstsound
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Content\HALion\VST Sound\FCP_SMT_001_HS_Synths_01.vstsound.lnk
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Content\HALion\VST Sound\FCP_SMT_075_HS_GM_01.vstsound
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\Content\HALion\VST Sound\FCP_SMT_075_HS_GM_01.vstsound.lnk

AND I’M NOT SURE WHAT THESE ARE:
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\HALionOne_64\Content Archives.xml
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\HALionOne_64\Defaults.xml
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\HALionOne_64\Images
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\HALionOne_64\Key Commands.xml
C:\Users\Miles\AppData\Roaming\Steinberg\HALionOne_64\Patch Categories

IN C:\ProgramData I HAVE THE FOLLOWING:
C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALionOne SoundBanks\EXP_YMH_001_S90ES_Piano.lnk
C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALionOne SoundBanks\EXP_YMH_001_S90ES_Piano_Set1.lnk
C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALionOne SoundBanks\EXP_YMH_002_SR_OneSoundz_Silver.lnk
C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALionOne SoundBanks\EXP_YMH_002_SR_OneSoundz_Silver_Set1.lnk
C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALionOne SoundBanks\FCP_SMT_007_Expression_Content.hsb
C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALionOne SoundBanks\FCP_SMT_007_Expression_Content_Set_1.hsb
C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALionOne SoundBanks\GM_Drum_Content.hsb
C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALionOne SoundBanks\GM_Drum_Set_1.hsb
C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALionOne SoundBanks\GM_Sound_Content.hsb
C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALionOne SoundBanks\GM_Sound_Set_1.hsb
C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALionOne SoundBanks\Pro_Content.hsb
C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALionOne SoundBanks\Pro_Set_1.hsb
C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALionOne SoundBanks\Pro_Set_2.hsb
C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALionOne SoundBanks\Pro_Set_3.hsb
C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALionOne SoundBanks\Studio_Content.hsb
C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALionOne SoundBanks\Studio_Drum_Content.hsb
C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALionOne SoundBanks\Studio_Drum_Set_1.hsb
C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALionOne SoundBanks\Studio_Set_1.hsb
C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALionOne SoundBanks\Studio_Set_2.hsb

AND THERE’S ALSO THIS:
C:\ProgramData\VST3 Presets\Steinberg Media Technologies\HALionOne\SR OneSoundz Silver[lots of .vstpreset files]
C:\ProgramData\VST3 Presets\Steinberg Media Technologies\HALionOne\Yamaha S90ES\YAMAHA S90ES Piano.vstpreset
WHIH IS A BIT SURPRISING, AS I EXPECTED THESE TO BE IN THE SAME FOLDERS AS THE SECTION ABOVE

IN THE CUBASE PROGRAM FILES, I HAVE THESE:
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 5\vst3\Cubase Plug-in Set.vst3
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 5\vst3\Groove Agent ONE.bin
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 5\vst3\Groove Agent ONE.vst3
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 5\vst3\LoopMash_x64.vst3
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 5\vst3\SynthEngine.vst3

DUPLICATED HERE:
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\VST3\Cubase Plug-in Set.vst3
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\VST3\Groove Agent ONE.bin
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\VST3\Groove Agent ONE.vst3
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\VST3\LoopMash_x64.vst3
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\VST3\surroundpanner.vst3
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\VST3\SynthEngine.vst3

AND
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\VST Sound\FCP_SMT_001_Cubase6.vstsound
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\VST Sound\FCP_SMT_002_Cubase6.vstsound
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\VST Sound\FCP_SMT_003_Cubase6.vstsound
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\VST Sound\FCP_SMT_004_Cubase6.vstsound
C:\Program Files\Steinberg\Cubase 6\VST Sound\FCP_SMT_005_Cubase6.vstsound

AND, FINALLY ON C:, I HAVE THIS
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steinberg\Cubase 5\VSTPlugins\EZDrummer\ezdrummer.dll
WHICH I ASSUME NEEDS TO BE PUT INTO A VST-x32 PLUGIN FOLDER SOMEWHERE IN CUBASE 6 PROGRAM FILES.

THEN IT GETS COMPLICATED, BECAUSE ON MY DEDICATED CUBASE DRIVE I HAVE THE FOLLOWING:
(FROM THE VST Sounds DISC THAT CAME WITH CUBASE 5)
E:\HalionOne Soundbanks\EXP_YMH_001_S90ES_Piano.hsb
E:\HalionOne Soundbanks\EXP_YMH_001_S90ES_Piano_Set1.hsb
E:\HalionOne Soundbanks\EXP_YMH_002_SR_OneSoundz_Silver.hsb
E:\HalionOne Soundbanks\EXP_YMH_002_SR_OneSoundz_Silver_Set1.hsb
E:\ToonTrack\EZDrummer
E:\ToonTrack\Groove Monkee
E:\VST Sounds\Drum Loop Expansion 01.vstsound

Anyway, I tried opening a saved project, to see what would happen. Apart from the positive step of no longer getting warnings saying ‘No license found for Halion Sonic Program Factory Presets’ and similar for Halion Orchestra, I now have no access to the VST sounds I was using. For example, HALION Sonic SE/Clear Trumpet NoteExp is noww no longer available. When I edit the instrument, the only sounds it gives me when I search for ‘TRUMPET’ are two (frankly awful) GM patches. On further examination, the only sounds now available in Halion Sonic SE are from the HALION SONIC SE BASIC SET.

If I load up HALION ONE as a VST instrument, I have a very limited set of sounds on offer, which all seem to be from Sonic Reality as they all start with the prefix ‘SR’. They are:

Bass (9 choices)
Drums/Percussion (2 loops and 19 Kits)
Guitar/Plucked (14 choices)
Piano (2 choices)

Presumeably, I need to move (or at least copy) all the .hsb files from C:\ProgramData\Steinberg\Content\HALionOne SoundBanks to E:\HalionOne Soundbanks. Will this give me access to the ‘missing’ sounds?

As you can see, I’m very confused! What I want is to have ALL my Sounds, presets, 3rd-party effects, VSTis, midi loops, etc residing on the dedicated cubase drive (E:). What should I do??

ANOTHER, SEPARATE, PROBLEM.
I’ve also NOT YET installed the 2 disks that came with Cubase 5 labelled ‘HALION Symphonic Orchestra 16-bit Special Edition version 1.3’ as I had ‘invalid licence’ errors cropping up all the time with Cubase 6, which I have found out (by browsing forums) come from installing this as a demo. This is strange, as my eLicenser dongle shows that I have an active ‘Collection License’ for HALION Symphonic Orchestra 1.x and HALION Player OEM 3.x (although I’m not sure what ‘Application Instances: 1’ means; my Cubase 6 license shows ‘Application-Instances: 13’ Is my license active? And where should I store the data from these disks?

If you’ve read this far then I assume you have a genuine interest in helping me, so many thanks for your time and effort so far. I hope to hear from you soon!

Regards,

Miles Forman.