Halion Sonic Se doesn't load sounds correctly by default.

Hi,
I just installed Dorico.iMac 2017 OS X 10.12.6
By creating a new Project Halion Sonic doesn’t load sounds of HSO correctly.No matter what kind of score I create it is always the same.
Just on 1st channel and its a synth.

Any ideas?

thanks

P:S i´ve installed dorico on my old Mac book pro 13 2012 and everything is working correctly.

Hi Anton,
sounds like you have not installed HALion Symphonic Orchestra (aka HSO), the sound library for all the orchestral instruments.
Prior to Dorico 1.1 you got everything in one big download and one installer, but now in the Steinberg Download Assistant you get presented 4 Downloads: Dorico full, Dorico updater, HALion Sonic SE and HALion Symphonic Orchestra. You need to get all of them and run each individually.

If you think you have installed HSO then please check following location and see if it is filled with vstsound-files:
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/Content/HALion/VST Sound/VST Sound - HSO

If they are there and you still get only the synth sound, then please go to following location and delete the VSTAudioEngine folder completely:
/Users//Library/Preferences/VSTAudioEngine
On next Dorico startup it will get recreated again automatically. Also, the startup will take a little longer than usual, because the audio engine will scan anew forfs sound files. Then please try with a new project and see if correct sounds do get loaded.

For old, wrong sounding projects, go to Play Mode and choose from the menu Play > Apply Default Playback Template. That shall load the correct sounds into the HALion slots.

Hello Ulf,
thanks a lot!
i just erased the VST Audio Engine, and it works!!!

best regards

Anton

Hello Ulf,
I have the same problem (1.2.0.37). I verified the sounds are there and I deleted the VSTAudioEngine and HALion Sonic SE folders from the Preference folder. They were then recreated when I restarted Dorico, I started the Band Template and watched the correct instruments load but in the end, they all went away and I was left with Gran Cassa Combi KS. What to do next? BTW: I noticed I’m using HALion Sonic SE2 and I see there is a 3 on the Steinberg site. Could that be the problem?

Thanks,
Steve

First, HALion Sonic SE (HSSE) 2 or 3 shall make no difference. Currently Dorico installs HSSE 2, but you can also upgrade to the free HSSE 3 as provided on our website, Dorico will equally work together with that one. With the next major Dorico update we will also update the installer to use HSSE 3.

Now to your real problem. That sounds strange, I’ve never heard about something like it. So the sounds load fine in first place and then disappear again…?
When does that happen, immediately or later? How do you know that the correct sounds loaded in first place?
And what if you don’t start from template, but create an empty project and add players one by one?
After each addition of a player, please check in the HALion editor window if the correct sound got loaded and remains there.

After hours of looking at HALion I realized that I was expecting to SEE the instruments in the HALion window. When I input notes, the sounds ARE there now which weren’t there the first time I tried (I can’t believe I didn’t try again after the multiple times of trashing the preferences). I’ve never been a playback guy…just an engraver, so dealing with playback and VSTs is all new to me. I guess all of my sounds are loaded but I just can’t see them in the HALion window. Do I need to and if so how do I see them? Sorry for such newbie questions but as I said, playback is last on my list.

Now to tackle licensing issues and dongles…urrgg.

Cheers,
Steve

No problem, I’ve attached a screenshot.
From the templates I created a chamber orchestra project. If the the HALion Sonic SE editor window does not pop up itself, then you go to Play Mode and on the right side you push the little ‘e’ icon (I’ve circled that in red on my screenshot.)
In the HALion Sonic SE editor window you then see on the left side the 16 slots - HALion can produce 16 different sounds at the same time - and which sound is currently loaded into each slot. So in case of the chamber orchestra you see the violin in slot 1 and 2, viola in 3 and cello in slot 4. So that is the ultimate proof that HALion loaded the necessary sounds.
What is it showing in your case?
Btw., I’m using HALion Sonic SE 3. It looks slightly different to version 2 but otherwise is same.

Hi,
Almost all of the HALION sounds don’t load automatically when I create a new Dorico project. The example projects have their sounds load, fine and when starting a new project the odd few seem to load, like tenor sax, or piano but with a GM path. But generally all slots are blank when pressing the “e” button for the Halion VST in Play mode. I’ve tried deleting the VSTAudioEngine2_64 folder from the AppData/Roaming/Steinberg folder and restarting Dorico, and looked for the Play > Apply Default Playback Template command, but there is no such command for me; the closest is “Playback Template…”.

Perhaps relatedly, somewhere along my attempts I started getting this message when I start Dorico: " One or more components for Dorico playback have not been found. Please run the Steinberg Download Assistant and install the packages Dorico Playback 2 - Orchestra Library". However I had the same situation before and after this happened; example projects load sounds correclty, new projects don’t. I’ve since tried reinstalling Dorico 2.1.10 and Dorico 2.1.10 Playback 1 - Halion Sonic SE 3 and Dorico Playback 2.0 Orchestra Library so I don’t know why it is not finding the component, or if that is the issue. I am running Windows 10.

Please help, thanks in advance!