HALion Step Modulator Sync Mode Bug?

I noticed that if I inserted a step mod into a program with the Sync mode set to “Tempo+Beat” that the audio-processing load in Cubase increased with the bar number.

For example, if my transport is playing at bar 9, my audio-processing load meter is normal looking. If I jump to bar 800, it increases a good bit. If I jump to bar 1700 it is almost maxed out.

I tested this locally with a HALion 6 in Cubase 9.5 and I tested this with a HALion 6 loaded in a VE Pro 6 instance on another machine. In VE Pro 6, you can see the CPU usage increasing with the bar number count.

After a series of tests, I narrowed it down to the step mod sync mode set to “Tempo-Beat”

Any one else run into this?

Looks a lot like a bug.

Hi rmjmusic,
which Step Modulator is it? The one within in the zone or the MIDI Module (Mono Step Modulator). Can you perhaps provide a preset that shows that behaviour?
best regards
Gerrit Junge

I just tried to make a patch from an initialized patch. At first the step mod did not show the behaviour. The midi module step mod did but after I brought that in the original step mod also showed the behviour. It doesn’t totally seem consistant but here is a simple patch that on my system if I locate Cubase to bar 2000 the ASIO cpu meter shows about 85% hit.
Step FIlter Test.zip (8.43 KB)

Hi dlpmusic,
with the help of your preset I’m able to reproduce it here. Its now in our Defect-Tracking-System and listed as Bug-ID “HALLY-7280”.
I hope we can provide a fix for it soon.

Thanks for your preset and please accept my apologies for any inconvenience caused.
Gerrit Junge

Glad to hear you found the fix. We discovered another serious bug with the slope sync on the step filter. I think we reported it in a separate thread or with support.

Hopefully you can do a hot fix soon.

The bug with the slope sync on the step filter seemed to go away after a restart so all seems ok with it.