Halion uninstallation

Hi,
I am running Dorico 4 Pro on Mac. I am trying to save some space but want to run the full version of the VST.
I am a bit confused about this VST, namely:
In my applications I have
HALion Sonic.app
and
HALion Sonic SE.app
Is it safe to uninstall the latter to save space? Is it redundant?
HALion Sonic.app says it is version 3.3.10.22 (command-I) yet in Dorico’s Play menu, it says it is HALion Sonic 7 when I go into the ‘edit instrument’ dialogue. Why the discrepancy? Where is the HALion Sonic 7 library stored (as version 3 is in my Applications)?
Thanks and sorry for the basic questions.

Unless you use Sonic 3 SE in some old VST2 only hosts (Sonic 7 doesn’t come in a VST2 format), you can uninstall it. I keep it around since I’m on Windows, and still like to use some HALion sounds in hosts that can’t do VST3 (Sibelius and Finale).

Sonic 7 takes its place in most if not all VST3 compliant hosts.

Some hosts out there might complain if there are VST3 plugins for both Sonic 7, and HSSE 3 in the Program Files/Common Files/VST3 directory. If you want to keep HSSE3 around and run into a problem host, move one of the Sonic plugins (the one you don’t need at the moment) to a different directory, or rename the unwanted vst plugin with a .bak extension or something.

The sound libraries are universal for both players. Keep them up to date, and the latest ones should work in all versions of Sonic/HALion from versions s2/h5 forward.

1 Like

Thank you Brian,
I don’t use Virtual Instruments in anything but Dorico, so Sonic 7 (and doing the new update) should be what I want.

I have since found the location of the VST sounds in the Application Support directory. The directory is shown in the Steinberg Library Manager.

So should I use that using the “remove” button for all HALion Sonic SE Content, and also trash the application HALion Sonic.app ?

Yes, you should be fine to use your OS app manager to remove Sonic 3 SE.

It’d doubtful that you’ll ever need it again, but if you do, it’s not hard to find HSSE 3 to add it back. I think it shows up in Steinberg’s Download Assistant for Dorico (certainly up through version 4), and there are also ‘support’ pages on the website where one can grab it.

As for the ‘sounds’…those are managed separately from the ‘player’. Pull up your start bar app search thinggy and type “stien”, and you should see it show up as “Steinberg Library Manager”.

It is a separate little app to manage content. It’s possible move libraries to alternate storage and such from here.

For Dorico Pro, you can do a minimal set of sounds if you like. Remove Halion Symphonic Orchestra and the Olympus Micro Choirs. From there you’d need to use the SE or Elements playback templates in Dorico.

I’m not sure the difference between the SE and Elements playback templates. Seems like one of them will also get sounds from the “Artist” library, which might not be included with all Dorico variants.

Same deal for Groove Agent when it comes to Dorico 5. It’s possible to remove GA and its libraries and fall back on the SE/Elements content.

1 Like

Hi @Jon-Sibelius , don’t uninstall any of the contents files, even if it says HALion Sonic SE-bla-bla-bla. Dorico still might use some of that sounds. HALion Sonic and HALion can also load HALion Sonic SE content.

Coming back to the HALion.app(s). These are the standalone players. They are like a little VSTplug-in host and the intention is that you can play with HALion even if you don’t have a DAW like Cubase or a scoring program like Dorico.
So the player apps can also load the HALion plug-ins, that’s also the reason why they have different version numbers, because they are little applications for themselves. If you want to save some space, then you can also delete them, since you still have Dorico for playing the HALion plug-in(s). Do you get the point?

1 Like

The HALion Sonic app is 30 Mb. It might be worth checking how much space you actually save from deleting things, and whether it’s worth the loss of function.

At best, you can remove about 7 Gb of samples from the Dorico/HALion setup (most of it the HALion Symphony Orchestra), but then you won’t have any instruments to play back, unless you’re using NotePerformer or some other sample library.

1 Like

Right…
Keep Sonic 7…

Use the OS App manager to uninstall Sonic 3 SE.

Run Download Assistant to make sure your HALion content libraries are ‘up to date’ (It will automatically let you know and update them if needed).

Now you can consider changes to the HALion ‘content’.

If you remove any ‘content’ with the library manager, you should leave everything but HALion Symphonic Orchestra and Olympus Choirs.

If you remove those two, you’ll need to be sure to use SE/Elements playback templates in Dorico.

Sometimes rather than ‘deleting’ libraries it’s handy to just ‘move them’ to an external disk. One could move HSO and the Choirs to such a drive for use at home or in the studio. When you pick up the laptop and go on the road and leave the big external drive on the desk, the ‘external drive’ isn’t plugged in so Sonic will show red markers for presets associated with the disconnected drive, and obviously they won’t work until the drive is plugged back in, but you can still use Sonic and the rest of the content.

Without the drive attached, use SE/Elements playback templates.
Those access the various “SE” libraries.
HALion Sonic SE Common Presets Content
HALion Sonic SE Content

Groove Agent and its content is also optional. If any of that is removed, again, be sure to use playback templates in Dorico that don’t need it, and instead fall back to HALion/Sonic content.

1 Like