HALion6/HS3/HS3SE - but not on WIN7 (64bit)

Anyone who suggests that all we have to do is upgrade to Win10 obviously hasn’t run into the difficulties some of us have experienced when Microsoft began to upgrade us automatically a little over a year and a half ago.

I figured that it couldn’t hurt to give it a shot, since at the time it was a freebie. At first it wasn’t too bad, but once the Anniversary update was installed, that’s when my system began to treat me to frequent and random BSODs, sometimes before I had a chance to save my work. It claimed that my memory was “corrupt”, yet even when I replaced that memory and the diagnostic gave it a clean bill of health, I couldn’t go but a few minutes before another BSOD would appear. That was the last straw.

What was worse is that Microsoft decided, without any fanfare, that users had 10 days to keep or revert back to their previous OS - by the time I decided that Win10 was a dog, it was too late for such a reversion. I knew I would hate to do what had to be done: format the drive and reload Win7, as well as all of the associated software, which was a royal pain.

With tens of thousands of instruments made available to me by Steinberg, as well as by other third-party suppliers, I’m thinking this is where I’ll save my money for once.

Well, I’ve tried now 3 times to install and get running H6 on W7-64.

H6 hangs/dissapears after initialisation. HS3 also hangs/dissapears.

With no support I guess that’s me done.

NOW WORKING! - with the help of Matthias!

Thanks for the warning!

Windows 8 and 10 are no option.

=> Waiting for Supported Win7 (or in distant future: Linux - that would be a dream!)

@Steinberg: Such a great release with scripting and macro pages - dont ruin your success with forcing us to use win8/10 - i wont. And anybody who has read a bit about Microsofts new behavior on data privacy will never even consider the new version. You are not even allowed to install the normal versions of Win10 for your employees here, because microsoft will send out too much private information about them.

Someone started a poll: Would you like to have Windows 7 again as supported OS for H - HALion - Steinberg Forums

Bad move. Silly scenario. Steinberg shoring up the Komepitions Krown!

Won’t be long before Kontakt has real time record for sure, hundreds of thousands of users will be so pleased to already have Kontakt running so sweetly on Win 7 and surely stay with it.

Despite its features, Halion has always been an expensive “underdog enigma” with little support from third party sound library developers, this ridiculous statement and direction from Steinberg only makes it more of one.

There again, real time record been bog standard on the Scope STS samplers for the last 15 years…and still runs on every version of Windows from 98 through to W10 if that’s what the users want. What company motto states “Give the people what they want and they will buy it”…?

Not Steinberg for sure! If they think that untold numbers of users (possibly hundreds of thousands in numbers) with solid, stable installs (with C9) running on Win 7 will rush to scrap the stability, that many would have to also buy new audio interfaces for to run an unproven, very expensive luxury “do it all” plugin that won’t run in thier own latest release world leading flagship DAW without such substantial extra expense and downtime, then they should seriously consider the posts and implications of thier decisions voiced in this thread and, for once, really listen to what thier users want.