Handclap part for brass players

I want to notate 4 measures with a handclap for the brass players. What is the correct way to do this?

Do an instrument change by assigning an additional instrument “handclap” (yes, there is such an instrument in the Orff instruments category; you can also type “hand” in the search box and it will show all related instruments) to the players in Setup mode. Creating Instrument Changes in Dorico | Setup Mode – OF NOTE

Does this no longer work in updated versions (perhaps because there’s a new way to do it)?
I can’t seem to get it to work this way; I also followed the link.

It works absolutely fine here. Is there a possibility you’re trying to add your Handclap instrument to a section player?

No, but I did rename the player. Would that affect the outcome?

It shouldn’t do, no. Anything else unusual about your existing player? Extra staves, perhaps?

When I drag the handclap from its solo player to “Lead 3” it adds handclap but also adds a new staff, which I didn’t want.

This is how it’s supposed to work. In Galley View it’ll show a separate staff per instrument. In Page View (as long as Layout Options allows instrument changes) you’ll only see one stave for that player, with automated changes from one instrument to the other and back again.

Oh I see, just in Galley view.
And since I personally edited the player name, I guess it won’t override my edit in order to add “and handclaps”?

I don’t think so, no.