Hanging midi notes

hi there…
i am using nord stage 88ex as an external device to record midi.
during playback some notes are hanging on, until i manually “note off” them…
looked it up at the web and found no solution…

using windows 7 and cubase 6 32 bit, with an m-audio fast track pro.
i got the feeling that its something to do with the interface but not quite sure if so/why…

anyone?
thanks.
itai.

Check out a recorded part in list editor. Are there lots of midi-data like aftertouch or pitchbend? This could be the reason…

What device are you using as tome generator? Are you using Nord again?

Try to minimize MIDI data, as Cario says.

If you are using virtual instruments, check your Buffer Size. If you are usign hardware instruments, check cable connections.

hi…
not that much midi data… just recorded a piano part(only),
just velocity and sustain( in one track i even didnt use sustain)

my tone generator is the nord again…you think thats the reason?
ive recorded with it in diffrent studios and never had an issue with it before except mine…
thanks…

with other vst’s from cubase i never had a problem…

Just to be sure, try to check this article.

hi…
i read the article… not everything was clear to me, but i tried changing the things thats written there…
so far nothing has changed…
it talkes about timing issues and i dont have a problem with that…
only the hanging notes…
thanks though…
itai.

I’ve had this happen a few of time (I can’t remember though if it has happened since I upgraded to C6.5). I eventually tracked it down to two related causes. It happened after I’d shortened a MIDI track (either by dividing and deleting a bit of the track after the division or by deleting notes without changing the length of the track).

1. An orphaned NOTE ON (ie no NOTE OFF event associated with it). The note just continued to cypher until it happened to be played again (when the NOTE OFF associated with that event silenced it) or a transport Stop occured.

2. An orphaned SUSTAIN ON (ie the associated SUSTAIN OFF was accidently deleted). All the notes on the channel continued to play. Those with a natural decay (eg Guitar) eventually went silent but those with a natural sustain (eg Organ) kept playing until the transport was stopped.

In both cases editing back the missing event resolved the problem.

I’ve also seen it happen with imported MIDI tracks. Never had time to investigate what was causing it but identifying the rogue event and editing it out and back again resolved the problem there too.

James

hi…
thanks but even when i am not recording it happens…
i can just play and hear back my nord and notes get stuck…

Did you turn midi local of ?

Hi!

Was there ever a conclusion to this thread? I think I am experiencing the same problem in my Cubase 7…

It seems so random! I can duplicate midi notes; the original stays without sustained (as intended), but new ones gain sustain, and visa versa.