Hardware USB driver version 2.0.2 for Mac

I am having a similar problem with my UR22 not being recognized by Catalina. It worked with Mojave on this MacBook pro. It still works on my MacBook Air and my iMac both operating High Sierra. I have updated the driver to version 2.0.2 today and it does not fix the problem. The installation notes for the driver say it is compatible with Catalina OS 10.15.x which should include 10.15.2 that I am using. Is anyone else having this problem? Any solutions? I do not want to downgrade back to Mojave, and I am not certain that would fix the problem anyway.

So I downgraded from Catalina to Mojave and my UR22 connects just fine. It took hours to do this and I spent about an hour on the phone with Apple’s free on-line support (1-800-275-2273 in the US). I would still like to upgrade back to Catatlina if and when this problem is fixed.

That’s great that you were able to get it to work by downgrading OS but I’m not willing to, honestly. It’s just indicative of having to go through it again with this vendor’s product someday…would rather get out of this lane.

Has anyone been able to get their UR22 working with Catalina?

Unusable under macOS Catalina 10.15.2; the driver installer will not even work. I don’t know this for certain but what I’ve been told by someone I’ve shown the log to is that it’s because the installer wants to write in /Library (as distinct from ~/Library) and that’s no longer allowed. Until Steinberg reworks their driver and its installer, the UR22 is a doorstop on Mac.

I’ve just updated macOS to 10.15.3 and no change, which is unsurprising. One thing I noticed is that even though the installer pauses to ask where you want software installed, the only choice it gives you is to install it for all users. If you had an option to install it for just yourself maybe it’d only try to write in writeable space.

What if the drivers are already installed before updating to 10.15?

I just got one and tied setting it up yesterday. It seemed like I was able to install the driver and could access it, but no sound was getting into or from my computer. I could monitor straight on the device, I could tell Cubase I wanted to use the device and the driver, but could not get anything to record and could not hear anything (even the metronome click) via the device.

So I got it to work on my partners Macbook. I installed the drivers before updating to Catalina. Did the update and it worked fine afterwards.
Will now test it out on my Macbook in the next few days.

Yes! I finally got mine working. I needed customer support to remotely login to my laptop and they fixed my unit. Everything works fine now.

One of the things I didn’t know was that the UR 22 unit itself has its own firmware that needs to be updated. My unit had never been updated, it always worked fine until Catalina so I didn’t even look at that aspect of it.

The support person said there’s a set way to update the system to make it ready and it’s very finnicky. So, he logged into my computer, installed the driver (at this point the unit is no longer recognized by my laptop), then I connected the UR22 to my old laptop (that still has OS Sierra) and gave him remote access again on that machine and he updated the Firmware on the UR22(which is when I found out the firmware had never been updated). Once that was done, I connected it back to my laptop running Catalina (I just updated to 15.3) and now everything works fine.

Give support a call, they can help you through it. I don’t think I would’ve figured this out on my own and it’s been driving me crazy for months. I was almost ready to go buy a different product.

Call support, I just posted about my experience and they logged in remotely and got everything working for me today. I’m on Catalina 15.3.

I guess I have to call support since there doesn’t seem to be any UR22 firmware available for download.

Driver version 2.0.3 also won’t install on 10.15.3.

When I have installed 2.0.2 the Steinberg UR22C was working with my preamp guitar. Beside the “Mic In” there was the USB device for steinberg correctly showing up in the Audio-Midi-Setup panel. However, after I changed the voice input (Mic In) to be silent the steinberg stopped getting a signal. In the Audio-Midi-Setup panel it is showing up but there is no way to gain input noise.

Last week I bought the steinberg UR242, I was using it perfectly well with MOJAVE until today I decided to upgrade to CATALINA … from there it stopped working… I can’t believe that an interface with the quality of steinberg does not work in this operating system !!! … Please if someone could make it work without doing a downgrade explains how … I am about to publish it to sell this crappy interface !!

I tried everything:

-uninstall everything using the uninstaller many times
-reboot many times
-installed driver many times. repeatedly
-i’ve check my security and privacy settings and everything is normal, no need to allow
-I’ve installed last version of elicenser and run the maintenance.

Please, could anyone make it work in this version of the operating system?

I recommend not to upgrade your mac i bought this card today because my roland duo capture not support catalina

Same issue happend with ur22c

Very disappointed with Steinberg audio

SOLUTION!
If anyone is still having the issue I found a solution that worked for me. I am on macOS 10.15.7 and always got the “installation failed” message when trying to install drivers for my UR 22. After several failed attempts of uninstalling, reinstalling, etc. here are the steps I followed to solve the problem:

1. Disable System Integrity Protection (SIP) by following this guide
  2. Restart your Mac after disabling SIP and go to Computer → Macintosh HD (or whatever the name of your startup drive is) → Library → Extensions and locate “YamahaSteinbergUSBAudio.kext”. Drag the item in the trash and empty it.
  3. Re-enable SIP by following the previous guide (type enable instead of disable) and restart your mac
  4. Run the installation package for the drivers and they should now work

I think the cause for this issue is that the installation package is not able to overwrite the Yamaha USB extensions and therefore you have to delete it yourself before installing the new one. The reason you need to temporarily disable SIP is that it allows you to delete the Yamaha USB extension, without disabling it you will not be able to move it to the trash. Hope this helps!