Harmonic notation problem with VSL

Due to VSL’s use of only artificial harmonics in the solo strings, I am forced to notate the desired harmonic as an artificial one for correct playback. At times I would like to hide the artificial harmonic in voice one and in using voice two, enter the note as a natural harmonic and then suppress its playback. This will print and play back correctly. This works fine until I try and do it with a dotted note such as a dotted quarter or dotted half note. Every method I try removes the “dot” from the second voice!
If I try to hide the artificial harmonic using Engrave mode and “Hide stem and Hide notehead , the notehead disappears but the harmonic diamond stays. If I try to Scale voice one (the artificial harmonic) to near zero, the dot in voice two (natural harmonic) also shrinks away to nothing.
I would appreciate any solutions.
Thanks,
Kent D.

Could you create a playing technique to trigger the VSL harmonics (which you could hide)?

Hey Janus,
Thanks for the quick reply. I will look into it. I know from VSL that if you change the octave setting down an octave for the harmonics in VSL the artificial harmonics play correctly but the natural do not. If i cannot figure out the playing technique you suggest I will probably do the easy thing and have a print version and a playback version which I used to do a lot in Finale.
Thanks again. I am always impressed with the kind help people provide in the forum. Often I am hesitant to chime in since it is such a deep program and there are many aspects I still don’t fully understand.
Kent

1 Like

@littl17936 (Kay),
One should not be shy about posting here. If one has a helpful suggestion, someone is bound to appreciate learning something new; and if one has a question, plenty of folks here are happy to help someone better understand this program so many of us value.

It doesn’t matter in the least whether you notate a harmonic as natural or artificial for playback. Dorico only has a symbol and p.t for natural harmonic (the little circle) so you therefore in the Expression Map should choose “natural harmonic 1” for your artificial harmonic, then it will play correctly. The notation you can simply adjust in the properties to taste so it becomes an artificial harmonic to correspond with the actual sample.

If you are not programming the natural harmonics supplied in the VSL solo strings, then I see no point in creating a new p.t. I may not have fully understood your post but the impression is you’re trying to make things more complicated than they actually are! At any rate, that’s how I work with VSL and I haven’t myself bothered thus far to programme the natural harmonics (supplied only in the full preset)

Hey David,
Thanks for your reply. You guys are amazing. I will give it a try later on today and get back to you. My approach was guided by VSL themselves when they told me that the solo strings were using artificial harmonics. They told me that with Dorico I had to transpose the harmonics down an octave so artificial harmonics would work but that now the natural harmonic (o) would not playback correctly. I will fiddle with your solution to see if I can figure it all out.
Again, thanks for your time and guidance.
Kent

Hey Derrek,
Thanks for getting back to me. I have received some suggestions on how to fix the problem.I will try them later on today.
I agree. While there are things I still would like Dorico to address, I love the program. I was with Finale since the beginning but decided to jump ship to Dorico and have never looked back.
Kent

just very quickly - I don’t use and don’t currently have installed the VSL supplied Expression Maps so I’m not sure how they’re set up. But if the artificial harmonics as notated don’t play at the right octave, you can easily set a transposition in the EM for just that artic. just as VSL have said. If you notate the harmonic at pitch as a natural harmonic (and some find it easier to read when all harmonics are notated in this way but I’m not going to get into a debate on that here), then it is at the right octave without transposition.

Hey David,
I have it worked out now. Thanks for the reply. I do use the VSL supplied expression maps. For some reason, VSL does not supply the first harmonic (an octave above the fundamental) and that had added to my confusion. So shifting the harmonic transposition (in VSL) down an octave does work. I guess I got derailed with either the cello or bass library because you also have to shift their keyboard down an octave to avoid keyshift conflicts. Notating the naturals at pitch does work.
You guys are great.
Thanks again.
Kent