Harmonic Playback Issue with Noteperformer

So, I am transcribing, and I made a few notes get harmonics. However, not it seems the rest of that passage is played with harmonic playback. How do I correct that?

I just need it to play normally, and not with harmonics. What word or symbol would cancel harmonic playback

At least for strings, harmonics are always played exactly as displayed, and must be notated for each note.

You could add a “nat.” after the harmonics and hide it (natural, which cancels all playback alterations).

Where is the “nat.” found?

Playing techniques popover. Start typing “nat” and you’ll see it.

If you don’t want it to show in the score, you can hide it.

[SIDEBAR - attached is a workaround for Artificial harmonics, using a custom PT and the muted property in the common section]
ArtHarm.zip (408 KB)

Wow - thanks Fratveno, this is fantastic!

Excellent!

Digging into your approach, I found that in NotePerformer, adding CC 18 with a value of 16 will actually use the harmonic sounds.

Now off to make a touch-5 version too.

Thanks so much!

Based on fratveno’s approach, here’s my version. It has touch 5 and touch 4 harmonics (playing techniques harm5 and harm4). The expression map is set up for NotePerformer to use its harmonics patches and such that you don’t need an ord/nat afterward. What I don’t know how to do yet is mix articulations. So for example staccato + harmonic does not work correctly.

Even so, I think this might be useful for someone else.

ArtHarm2.dorico.zip (411 KB)

Staccato + harm4 does work… but you have to pay attention to CC19 in harm4 (and harm5 etc. etc.) The value of 0 apparently is a replacement for nat…harm4 has to be in effect when a staccato turns up, otherwise the combined art won’t make sense… ( I really haven’t studied the NP xmaps in greater detail, so I should probably keep my mouth shut here :unamused:

Ah, thanks. I’ll give that a try. (Not that I think I’ve ever written for staccato string harmonics :slight_smile:)

Thanks to those who posted the workarounds above. I’d been fiddling around trying to get something like that working but hadn’t quite succeeded on my own.

Here’s a funny edge case which I imagine is just a bug, but if anyone has a solution I’m all ears. In divisi string sections, the harmonics seem to stack on top of each other, resulting in a playback FOUR octaves above the fundamental (just a gorgeous sound). Attaching a screenshot of what I mean. BTW, it doesn’t seem to make a difference if I apply the harmonic to only one part—it still affects both lines.

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but how do we get fratveno’s custom playing technique working in our own scores?

I clicked “Save as Default” and was able to type in flg for the shift-P popover in a new file, but the playback was normal.

I’ve also tried making a new custom PT, but when I got to the Expression Maps dialog in Play mode I could not type in “FLG” as a new technique.

Should I try to export this as a library? I haven’t messed with custom PT, and even after reading the documentation and the Version History I am still at a loss. Thanks for any help!

There are two components to playing techniques: the thing you can see, and the underlying playback playing technique. I haven’t checked this, but I imagine that saving a playing technique from Engrave > Playing Techniques as default doesn’t necessarily also save the playback playing technique to which it refers, but you should be able to make that available to future projects to by cliking the Edit button next to the ‘Playback playing technique’ read-out in the Engrave > Playing Techniques dialog and saving the new playback playing technique as default as well.

Thanks Daniel, and darn. I tried saving both the Playing Technique and the Playback Playing Technique as defaults - and I was also able to edit the expression map so that FLG appears in it, and I copied the settings from fratveno’s expression map window (screenshot attached). But still no flageolet playback, either in existing or new scores.

Can you attach a trivial new project so I can take a look?

Here it is, thanks!
Artificial-harmonic-attempt.dorico.zip (408 KB)

Stephen, it looks to me as if there’s no mapping for the FLG playing technique in the NotePerformer expression map: presumably you need to add this, and set FLG to produce a control change of controller 16, value 18, based on what Frank and others have said earlier in the thread.

Hey there,
I’m new to Dorico. I tried to read all information about flageolets but I don’t get it.
What I did was: writing a note, input a 4th higher and changed the notehead to a diamond. I tried to add a ‘flg’ as playing technique text which doesn’t work. Do I need Noteperformer for being able to write/playback flageolets?
Can anybody please explain me a bit more detailed how I add a 4th or 5th flageolet and how I can make it playback that flageolet. Thanx so much for your help.

Basically, you need to create a playback playing technique that is referenced by a playback technique. In my file above, the PTs was named FLG (which you must call up in the Expression map) and flg which is used in the popover.

In my example (which was touch-4th only) all the technique does is transpose 2 octaves up. (see the subsequent posts for more sophisticated approaches) Additionally, for the diamond note, you have to activate the MUTED property in the common section (from Engrave mode!)