Harp calculations and enharmonic spelling

Hello,

I am enjoying the wonderful new feature of automatic harp pedaling, however, I noticed it does not pick up on enharmonic spellings.

I really would need this glissando spelled in this way:

D# Cb B
Eb Fb G# Ab

But instead, the auto calculations do reflect this. See attachment.

Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts here.

Many thanks,

Amanda
Screen Shot 2019-12-01 at 1.51.03 PM.png

It’s hard to understand your example since we can’t see the key signature (which is presumably a few sharps, but its a guess exactly how many)

If you write an arpeggio as in the example, a harpist will play an arpreggio, not a glissando, so the settings of the other pedals would be irrelevant.

The harp pedal calculator can only read the notes that are written in the score. For a harpist each position on the staff corresponds to a different string, so the player won’t “automatically” decide that a written B really means “play both B and Cb”.

You can either write all 7 note pitches and let the calculator do its thing, or just mark the glissando and type in the pedal settings.

I think it would be nice if the harp popover let you type things like “E major” to set a diatonic scale or “C dim” to get a diminished 7th gliss instead of spelling out all the notes, but the current version doesn’t do that.

Thanks Rob,

I opted to just mark the glissando and type in the pedal settings.

QUOTE: I think it would be nice if the harp popover let you type things like “E major” to set a diatonic scale or “C dim” to get a diminished 7th gliss instead of spelling out all the notes, but the current version doesn’t do that. UNQUOTE

I agree, it would be nice to have this feature one day. Dorico has already achived so much already in three years. It keeps going from strengthto strength.

Although, my next small wish is the have the auto save feature faster than 4 seconds.

Thanks again.

AutoSave is just an automated Save As, so the speed is dependent on a) the size of the project and b) the speed of the hard drive. Four seconds sounds like an abnormally long time - is your system drive not an SSD?

Same here, really long time needed for autosave >30 secs…

I’m all on SSD, so that shouldn’t be the problem. I’m running Dorico 3 with VE Pro 7 as sample host with only six instances in a 10 minute long composition, which is mostly filled with longer note values.
I’m on Windows 10, 64 GB of RAM, all latest updates and drivers and all software and samples are on SSD.