Harp glissando notation improvement

Hello, I hope the team is considering to develop a faster and easier way to write unmeasured harp glissandos with the “cue notes”.
One possible way could be to have a field in the bottom panel where to insert the “small notes” in plain text, in this case Dorico should figure the right octave from the first “big” note of the glissando and attach them to the staff.
Another way could be to input all the notes in the staff as regular notes, select the first and the last note and hit a “glissando button” which will transform the in-between notes in “steamless cue notes” and add the gliss line.
At the moment the only guide I could find is the one by John McKinnon available here. If there is a better way please do post a tutorial.
Thank you in advance.

The resource is great! Thanks for sharing.

Quick question: has this been implemented in Dorico yet (other than using the workaround as indicated in the John McKinnon youtube video)?

No, there haven’t been any developments in this area.

I guess there are no French impressionists in the Dorico team at the moment.

1 Like

My guess is they already have a lot on their plate.

1 Like

I really like the OP’s idea of inserting the notes separately so that Dorico can then insert them in the score.

Things to take into consideration for a glissando “app”:
a single line gliss requires 6 additional notes.
a “double glissando” would require the 6 additional notes be divided equally into groups of three, starting at each note of the double glissando.
a “triple glissando” would divide this into three groups of 2 notes.

however, one MIGHT want to offer the option of having all of the little notes be in a single line, if the glissando were, for example, each hand playing a 3-note chord.

I’ve just had to manually make glissandi for a 30-minute long symphony, and that is an AWFUL lot of heptuplets to make!

Add to this, you have to keep track of which voice the “real” note is in, and which voice contains the overlapping heptuplet. This CAN get messy when you have slightly more contrapuntally complex passages that incorporate glissandi.

As well, the spacing sometimes gets “wonky” with the little notes. I don’t know why, but sometimes Dorico seems to space the little gliss notes poorly, with some overlap or too-tightly spaced accidentals.

By the way, I’m French… but not really an impressionist :crazy_face:
I’d still like an easier way to insert harp glissandi.
as my favourite French Englishman would say: “Make it so!”