Has anybody tried N10.3 in Windows 7?

Under Windows 7? That alone would be reason enough to take the plunge.

Yes in Windows 7 Pro 64 as in my Sig. It was not quitting completely when I first install 10.3. Best I can tell it started quitting clean after I ran the plug-in scan function from within the plug-in manager. I was installing two new plug-ins and ran that scan while new window was running and it seems to have cleared things up.

It’s quit clean now about 12 to 15 times in a row total on three different complex projects over the last 2 days. I think it’s resolved on my system. I’ll post back here if it rears its ugly head again.

Vinark,

I still get this message when I try to reply to your PM.

“Some users couldn’t be added as they have disabled private message receipt.”

So - if I understand that correctly, all 10.2.20 Prefs will stay untouched then, won’t they? … OTOH: Does it mean that I’ll have to re-build all Prefs from scratch, in that scenario (e,g. Plug-in management)? Or is there a way to bring over information that can’t get actually exported?

TIA!

Dietz,

When you install a higher version (in this case 10.3) , it looks at the preferences of your previous version (10.2) and copies them into the new install.
(This 10.3 => 10.2 is exceptional, normally it only happens with higher versions (10.x => 11.x)

For a “fresh” install (where you have to rebuild your prefs, or want to copy them over one by one), you just temp-rename any older folder, so the new install doesn’t find any older version to copy the preferences.

A good practice is to make a safety copy of a good install; that way, when things go back, you can always revert to these prefs.

HTH
Fredo

Thanks, Fredo - this was the part that I needed to know. :slight_smile:

I completed two projects now- several audio book chapters, and one song, including mastering.

I am now half way the 3rd project, another original song for a client.

Long story short, I am sticking to N10.3 on Windows 7.

If I come across a show stopper, I will post back here, unless I upgrade hardware and go to Win 10.

Thanks! I’m following. :slight_smile:

I’m also I’m also staying with Windows 7 for the immediate future.

Just completed a 4 days, around 30 tracks live studio recording, with N10.3 and Win7, everything went smooth apart from one crash on exit at the end of day 3…

Only other thing I can say is that N10.3 seems a bit more “heavy” on my “old” 2013 setup than N10.2 when I re-opened a heavy mix (with video) done with N10.2 that was running smooth then, I get ASIO dropouts opening the same project in N10.3

Could be the UAD2 Pcie Octo maxed out at something like 93% and/or the Matrox video card which is probably the “weak” part of the setup.

System : Intel Mobo, Intel 3770K Quadcore, 32 Gb Corsair Ram, Matrox C420 LP video card, 3x RME Digiface audio interfaces, Win7 64 Pro.

Regards
Yannick

Hey that’s a nice room you have there!

Check is ASIO guard and “suspend vst3 …” is switched on/off.
I’ve heard from some users that these are ticked by default now.

Fredo

Fun fact: The biggest gripes concerning NU10’s GUI have magically disappeared since I switched to the version that’s not officially supported by my operating system any more. 8-}

Will have to do some stress tests now regarding the strain it puts on the CPU …

Hmmm, tempting. I must say I am on the verge of building from scratch a new boot drive with a clean install of Windows 10. It will mean weeks and weeks of reinstalling stuff which I am loathe to do. Haven’t made the final call on this yet but I have to say moving to Windows 10 without starting with new hardware really bugs my bum. Intel get your act together!!

Long session of 10 hours or so, in N10.3 in Win7, and 2 crashes. One when quitting N10.3.
The other was a blue screen while still in N10.3, after rotating with the mouse
a native Parametric EQ shelf. This happened before.

I go through a ritual trying to exit Nuendo without crashing, specially
because it then forgets my latest paths to the current projects, as well
as latest project names. Annoying as hell, and time consuming.

However 2 crashes is not so bad, considering.
Many Exports were done, including MP3 format for the client’s Box account.

I have the habit of saving after every move or 2, so if it crashes I never
lose more than a minute of work.

Also, my template is quite large because I have several synths, Korg Triton Studio,
YAMAHA Motif rack, 2 Roland Sound Canvas, M1 and Drum machine to name a few,
And I also record full live bands off the floor.

A good Template can save us a mountain of time and impress the recording musicians
with how fast you can be ready to record, and have a great sound at the first listen,
with effects, compressors, EQs, rev, delay etc already in place.

I have been fine tuning this Template for over 30 years.

I forgot to mention this crash detail, specially if Steinberg reads this:

The crash I had exiting was peculiar:
I save my projects under a new version every 2 hours of work. So
I had Project_14.npr with 24 000Kb. When I exited and N10.3 crashed,
Project_14.npr size decreased to 13 000Kb. When I tried loading it,
Nuendo 10.3 displayed a message saying that I was trying to open a
song from Nuendo 1.xx. Lol! Nuendo 1.xx? Not in my system for the
last 20 years.

So Steinberg, here is the crash:

Step 1. Save As over writing the Project_13.npr version
Step 2. Save As same project over writing Project_14.npr (yes I keep several versions of
the same project)
Step 3. Quit Nuendo 10.3
CRASH: “Program not functioning, Close Program…”

Step 4. Reboot
Step 5. Start Nuendo 10.3 - SAFE mode message displays at Nuendo 10.3 start
Step 6. Load Project_14.
MESSAGE saying this is a Nuendo 1.xx song, cannot Load
Step 7. Click OK on message, and Load Project_13.npr (size is 24 000Kb versus 13 000Kb on the corrupted Project_14.npr)
ALL is well now. No work lost, only reboot time, which is 40 seconds in my case, from a full Restart.

Needless to say, Project_14.npr became corrupt just before the crash.

I hope this helps.

I came across another problem in 10.3, although not a show stopper:

1. I exported 10 cycle markers, and it was ok, Time Line was set to minutes/seconds because it was an audio book.
  2. Loaded a different project and changed Time Line to beats per minute because it was a song.
  3. Load first project again, and after some minor editing, did another export of the 10 Cycle Markers.
    Now the exported events no longer align with the cycle markers. They were off by a large 10 seconds or more.
    The only difference was Beats per minute, instead of minutes/seconds in the Time Line.

I had to switch the Time Line back to minutes/seconds, reboot, and redo the exports one by one,
and the first Cycle Marker refused to convert to mp3 or to copy exported .wav back to the project.
To get that first Cycle Marker export, I had to to switch the export to “in between locators”- that worked fine.

Isn’t it official that we aren’t supposed to bring in templates from older versions?

You can create a new template, or build new signal chains, or import tracks from any project,
including tracks from older Nuendo 4.3, for example.
So throughout the years, compressors, EQs, Effects, Subgroups and complete signal chains
become consistent, even if you redesign your new template.

That being said, you may be referring to Settings, which can make the newer versions unstable
if imported from older versions.

Hmm… I was planning to to upgrade to W10 but maybe I should just try Nuendo 10.3 on W7 in the meantime, given it’s a seperate install… :slight_smile: