Has anyone posted any Dorico work with sample libraries?

I’m currently looking at sample libraries. The Spitfire Symphonic Libraries look awesome. Whether they’d run well on an i5 even after upgrading to 8Gb RAM needs checking out, otherwise it may be the old story of having to upgrade the computer to get access to better sounds.
My question is…has anybody done this and have they any examples of work online. I’ve currently been very impressed by a number of composers, notably Antonguilio Frulio

(Symphonic Orchestra Plugin | East West Quantum Leap | EWQL) - demos - ‘Micro Quartet’

It’s hard to hear in a piece like this what are ‘performance’ samples and the programmed midi notes, but all these demos are light years ahead of what comes with Dorico (I think?)…hence the initial question?

Also, is anyone using the EastWest monthly subscription service? Do you have to pay every month or can you opt in and out?

Thanks,
Al

I don’t think you’ll be able to find any sample library demo that has been produced by notation software (alone) :slight_smile: Those are mostly played live into a DAW and massaged further there.

Spitfire does produce high quality libraries, and they lend themselves beautifully to Dorico’s current playback scheme (in terms of Expressions maps etc.) once this has been relieved of a few bugs (which, with a bit of luck are already fixed in the next update?)

If your computer has SSDs large enough to store the Spirefire collection, you may balance the need for RAM to a certain extent, but I sincerely doubt that you will get by with anything less than 16GB on an i7. Most people running a full orchestra with samples of this calibre divide the labour among multiple computers, employing Vienna Ensemble Pro. You’ll get a better idea of how people use this type of sample libraries by browsing the vi-control forums I think. I’m sure you’ll find topics regarding experiences with Composers Cloud there as well.

The choice of sound library depends of course of what you want to achieve; if you want to do good sounding demos or ready made productions.
I have tried the included library very short and I didn’t like it. Maybe because I’m so used to work with the libraries from Garritan. (JABB and GPO)
I like these libraries very much, especially since they aren’t so demanding on the computer and they sound pretty ok out of the box without so much tweaking. (I’m only adding a good sounding reverb and that’s enough for me and my needs) The demos sounds reasonable good sounding demos and the libraries are very affordable. I recently upgraded my GPO 4 to GPO 5 for just $50.

What I’ve heard from Spitfire, they sound great but are much more computer demanding.

So, it depends much on what you want to achieve and your budget. Good luck! :slight_smile:

I use East West a lot, but it would be impossible in Dorico until Dorico allows freezing and bounce-in-place.

But as soon as Dorico gets Midi Out, we can use our Cubase templates again… :slight_smile: Hopefully. One of the biggest mysteries for me is why a company that has one of the major DAWs on the market, is willing and able to spend resources duplicating functionality between their applications. Dorico should have prioritized Midi Out and Steinberg should have sold D. bundled with Cubase Elements and licensed one of the very reliable (german) options for virtual midi cabling to complete the package.

Thanks for all those helpful replies, especially fratveno.

I’ll check out the vi-forum…never heard of it before.

I think you misunderstood what I was also asking though…I meant, has anybody done any work in Dorico and posted it somewhere?..even if it’s at a demo stage?

I’ll try to do the same today.

Al

Sorry I misunderstood. Have you seen the thread “post what you’ve done so far” ?

Attached is a page from Berg’s piano sonata, which I did back in October when Dorico was released. It’s not perfect by any means, but it does show how beautifully Dorico handles complicated voice-leading…

Thanks.
I have seen some of the scores in that thread.

This is kind of what I meant but imagine it with a virtual orchestra.

I think this is ultimately where all composers want to be? Where they can hear back with some kind of realism what the thing they’ve written out on paper (ok screen). I’ve longed for this since seeing Cubase V3 on an Atari, produce a score of sorts).
I’ve just tried to do an example with my musical that I’m scoring, but as I’ve just downloaded a free video editing program that I’ve never seen before (VSDC), I’ve been trying to import the graphics that Dorico exports on ‘Print’ (took me a while to find that) into that program to lay against the WAV file that Dorico produces. I think the A3 files that are produced are too big to import into VSDC (and probably are the wrong way round, portrait instead of landscape) and it just gives a black screen. I’m tired now so I’ll have another go tomorrow. There’s nothing as tiring as learning a new piece of software by yourself.
Later,
Al

Hey Fratveno,
Many, many thanks for that pointer to the VI-Forum. It’s exactly what I need…now I just need to catch up on ten years development. What with this forum, RME’s Total Mix forum and the VI forum, I’ll hardly have any time left to actually get the stuff down.
Al

Is anyone using Audio Impression’s Audioport? or Vienaa Symphonic Library?

As I’m playing catch-up with all this technology it would seem like a logical route to go if as like me, someone owns older computers? I have three ACER 6120 laptops, one Lenovo B540 and two ACER Z5610.

Are there any other solutions that do a similar thing?

I thought I might have to buy a separate interface for each computer, then try to wordclock them so when I read last night about the ethernet solution for audio and data I was well impressed. As someone who’s used Propellerhead’s Reason for at least ten years, I’ve never investigated plug-ins and VST stuff…so more learning.

Al

As I find things out rather than post new threads, I’ll include them on this thread. I’ve just found this Google Community (whatever one of those is…) called ‘Sheetmusic Playback of original music’ (not exactly snappy, but does exactly what is says on the tin)

https://plus.google.com/communities/111271689261263632311/stream/fbc5a1d2-590d-48d0-9991-7b8955c1c06f

Al

No experience with Audioport, but have been running Vienna for many years. You run you DAW on your main computer and then connect instances of the Vienna Ensemble Pro (VEP) software (it comes with 3 licenses) to server instances of it on the other (and/or same) computers. As long as you set this up with static IP addresses it works fine, keeping both audio and midi in sync with automatic latency compensation. VEP will host almost any VST, so you are not limited to VSL instruments :slight_smile:

Thanks for that.

I think Audioport (by Audio Impressions) seems to be a product that might have ceased being developed. So to my next question…

With the three ACER 6120 laptops

(Acer ICONIA 6120 Dual-Screen Touchbook - 14 - Core i5 480M - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - 4 GB RAM - 640 GB HDD review: Acer ICONIA 6120 Dual-Screen Touchbook - 14 - Core i5 480M - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit - 4 GB RAM - 640 GB HDD - CNET)

and the Lenovo B540

https://www.cnet.com/products/lenovo-ideacentre-b540/specs/

if I upgraded each machine to 8Gb RAM, would I get a reasonable kind of response from VSL? Would strings on one laptop, woodwind on another with percussion and brass on another do the trick? Piano and synth stuff could reside on the host Lenovo machine? Or is it a case of ‘suck it and see’?

Could I connect this stuff with a standard Belkin router as I have a few of these type knocking around:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Belkin-F5D7634-4-v2-G-Wireless-Modem-Router-bundle-With-Power-Supply-
/302104558586?hash=item4656d5bbfa%3Ag%3AtOwAAOSwYIxX%7Egat

or would I need something more esoteric like this:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282339891614?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Sorry for all the questions but as you can see this is all new to me.

Also, as I’ve been running ‘Reason’ for many years, I suppose I could go back to Cubase (although I’d have to buy a version) or would all this run in Reaper? I’m presuming it won’t run in Dorico for quite some time yet…well enough to do something like the demos on VSL’s site.

Finally, which VSL bundle should I consider (probably willing to spend a grand or so) as I’m not yet ready to shell out 12000Euros on everything :smiley:

Thanks a million for all the help so far.

Al