Have these problems been fixed?

So, I really want to buy Cubase 9 but before I spend more of my hard earned money I was wondering if anyone can tell me a few things.

Does Asio Guard 2 now finally work with VEPro 6?

Does Midi Routing still get forgotten upon Enabling an Instrument track?

Is there still CPU spiking?

Is Cubase 9 Stable?

Thanks. I’m sure I have some more burning questions but they are top of my list.

Jono

this from the Cubase 9 thread…

Well, not good news, at least in my experience after ±50 minutes of tinkering with the update. I’m getting severe real-time peaks just playing some notes in Monark at a latency of 64 samples in a new empty project created from scratch in Cubase 9. The real-time meter (blue line) moves up and down like crazy when I simply open an editor window, and the whole GUI redrawing feels heavy and slow. And this is with an i7 5960x 8 core and RME AIO PCIe soundcard.

not looking good…

I just don’t get how the Blue Real Time Peak is always peaking. This is a completely empty Project window in Cubase 8.5.20. Buffer set to 512 samples.

NOTHING should be happening. The performance meter should be empty.

My main computer is a Mac Pro 5,1 upgraded to a 12 Core (2 x 6 core 3.33ghz 5680s). It has 64gb of ECC Ram. OSX on an SSD. My main recording drive is a mechanical drive, perhaps that’s a problem. Doubt it though considering all samples are streaming from a Slave PC. I just don’t understand why CPU performance is so terrible with Cubase. I was hoping v9 would finally sort this stuff out.

I have also read mixed reports about Midi Routing actually forgetting itself after enabling an Instrument track. I can’t pay £80 for something that is going to give the same ole headaches.

The cpu peaking is just dumb at this point

I got the same issue with spikes as you guys, and posted a thread earlier as well. Its a really annoying problem and pretty much the ONLY problem I have with Cubase at the moment.

I wondered what gpu you guys have, as in my experience it seems like the issue mainly happens when I move around windows etc, in particular the piano roll. I have an Intel 4400 mobo gpu, which should be a good thing regarding less bloated drivers etc, but a potential problem may be that this kind of gpu in fact is built into the cpu (I think).I really want to avoid putting new fans in my cabinet, and if I DO buy a new graphics card, there really is no guarantee it will work. I dont have these problems in Ableton Live whatsoever, and I think I didnt have them with Cubase 7, so I think Steinberg did something with their graphics engine moving to 8 and 8.5. Generally the performance in Live, with the same plugins, seems to be better.

I think I will try using one of my graphics cards in my gaming pc with 8.5, just to check if this makes a difference. If not I seriously think that Steinberg needs to do something about this issue, and hopefully in the likely maintenance update coming in not too long. Nothing kills creativity like needless problems like this.

Edit: Ah. I see that shadowfax has a Radeon. Not good :cry:

Guys, are all the problems in systems that have more than 4 cores? I don’t know if that’s a for sure, but some threads seem to suggest that being the case.

I got 4 cores at least. Alas, I dont think this is the reason. Most people have 4 cores (at least) these days.

The problems people were saying occurred in systems with more than 4 cores.

I have the CPU peaking on 8.5. i7 6700k, so 4 cores.

But… why does it matter? Because it’s inconvenient to look at and makes you feel like your DAW is performing worse than it actually is? Because you feel compelled to click the little red indicator every couple minutes to make it disappear?

AFAIC the evidence is right there that Cubase manages heavy projects better than any other DAW I’ve used. Cubase handles heavy projects better than Studio One handles light ones, and is even slightly better than Ableton Live in my experience.

No, because these spikes at times cause stuttering. The experiences I have regarding Live doesnt fit your description, so I dont agreed with this evidence.

Oh, and I must admit that this red little indicator is annoying :wink:

After being collectively led to believe, earlier this year, that performance & stability issues were going to be addressed, I am completely bewildered by SB’s not listing what (if any) changes have been made “under the hood” (to improve/increase performance and stability, gui responsiveness, bug resolution, etc.) in C9 - in even a minimal way. I thought that after the user hoorah earlier this year, everyone was on the same page, more or less. Doesn’t look that way now.

I have fingers crossed, that Cubase 9 will support aggregate audio devices on MacOS. Steinberg previously told me that it’s not supported on 8.5, but it’s the only way I can get all 3 of my RME Multiface units running together.

I see. I hadn’t experienced that. I guess your frustrations are justified then.

I admit I do “feel compelled to click the little red indicator” sometimes. It always comes right back, lol. I’ve had to learn to ignore it mostly. In my case, I don’t get any performance issues. Of course, I’m using a dedicated machine that was built probably 8 months ago. Just about everything runs flawlessly for me… for now.

In my particular case, which shadowfax quoted above, I must say that the situation improves A LOT if I disable Hyper-threading in the BIOS. This is a fact. My computer behaves much more steady at very low latencies with 8 real cores than with 16 virtual ones. I remember Fabio (moderator) commenting some weeks ago that the synchronization between cores in low latency scenarios is still being worked out by Steinberg. For now, the more the cores you use (real or virtual), the worse the peaking you get, specially if your latency is lower than 128 samples. At least, this is my experience.

Also, there’s another factor in this equation that I want to explore: the graphic card. I’ve seen some people here commenting that exchanging their Nvidia card for a Radeon made a big difference regarding the peaks/stuttering. I’ll be purchasing a Radeon card this week and see what happens.

By sure to post back here to let us know how things worked out. I’m very interested to know.

Hehe. Well, in my opinion Steinberg should take a long, hard look at how their graphical interface works, as that is the big friggin’ elephant in the room in my case. A DAW performance indicator shouldnt freak out because you move a piano roll window around. :slight_smile: