Having incredible Cubase problems, really need support ..

Seriously…there are some 32bit plugins that will never be 64 bit. Since you are an ME, one 32 bit only program, (and its’ free) I can think of is the “substitute” for Bob Katz’s hardware. :smiley:

It certainly would be nice to use 64 bit only in a perfect world. But that is not always practical. Until that time, I think jBridge does a very good job.

If a user is having difficulties, yes after trashing, temporarily omitting 32 bit plugs would be part of the process of elimination. Actually temporarily omitting every 3rd party plug would be a good step.

Hey Seraglio - I was considering purchasing the Lexicon reverb plugin; that is until I read the problems you are having with it. I am using the Cubase 8 Pro version, not the Artist version. Are you still have problem with the Lex plugin? Is this a known problem with Cubase in general?

I am impressed - for good reason - with the Lex reverb plugin. Does anyone feel there is something else out there with a equal or better quality for less $$$? I am not impressed with the Cubase 8 Pro built-in reverbs.

Thanks!

you can hire the slate plugins for peanuts (compared to the value of the individual plugins) since a week or so. there is the relab lex480l included which I am using since quite a while and which costs about 400 usd when purchased separately.

but as I said - I never had issues with the lexicon plugins here, running projects with 300-500 tracks on a regular base.

Never had a problem with the Lexicon pack and C8.

No problem here with the 64 bit versions of the lexicon bundles. There are probably 2 or 3 halfway reproducable ways to crash Cubase here, I might have 1 or 2 unexpected sudden crashes per week and there are some little things which are not perfectly worked out that can cause problems when I forget to pay attention or work around them - that’s with continous 12 hour workdays on heavy sessions. Not perfect, but still pretty close to it. I have kicked out all 32bit plugins which had a big positive impact on stability. Other than that you might have to check which plugs are still causing trouble. I guess Steinberg can’t be held responsible for 3rd party plugins, so that’s unfortunately in the hands of the end user. Also you need a clean system to work on. I once couldn’t get a computer to work because I had a cpu meter from the motherboard manufacturer installed. It fcked up the whole pcie bus latency and no reliable audio playback was possible. It took me probably 2 weeks to figure out what caused it and it ran absolutely fine after that for years. That’s just for inspiration :wink:
Otoh C8 also runs fine on my laptop which is having all kinds of stuff like messengers and antivirus using asio4all or the internal asio driver. I have a very reduced plugin set there and use it for occasional editing, so the cpu won’t go through the roof.

Did you do a pci latency check? If not then maybe also look into it.

I know this is not a solution, but maybe some inspiration to get you going. And I also thought I couldn’t live without certain 32bit vsts. Turns out life is still beautiful after I dogded them. Having less can be more. Stability is one basis of creativity for me, having an unreliable system kills me.

Michael

If i read this discussion i see that OP is using a setup with loads of old and new vsti’s, VST2.4 and maybe older, 32bit, 64bit, jbridged, stacked in to gigs of RAM. Imho it is a problem of adaptation.

It is true i think that the new versions of cubase (7 + 8) are not as good for the old VST’s anymore, and i presume this is correlated to the fact that it also has been stated by SB that it will no longer continue to develop and maintain the VST 2 software interface but focus efforts entirely on the Software Development Kit, or SDK, development of VST 3. Things have been changing in the newer versions of cubase. F.e. the Halion 5 software is a very goo example of what we are heading too. This is quite a huge change if you compare it with the past. So, i also encountered that older vsti’s, which were often very good, are not working anymore like they did in the past. Some of them even do not work at all anymore. I think this is due to the more and more changing integration with then new vst3 standard, combined with all the other aspects as 64bit, and so on.

Where Reaper, as an example, is still and in fact an old completely 2.4 engine, it sounds logical that the old vst’s are performing better there.

So I assume OP that has problems with antique vst’s in the newer environment. If this is desirable or not, that is not the question here. It is a fact.

So, in stead of asking devs to return to the past in terms of programming, it is better to adapt to the situation. The solution in your case is very simple and there are several options:

• if you want to be using the cubase workflow in the future, by using the latest and newest versions, while keeping every bit of old vst in the setup: export the problematic dll’s out of the cubase area. Simple way to to this is f.e. vienna ensemble pro. This software handles your old vsti’s without any problem. It uses seperate servers for 32 and 64 bit software, so there is no bridging at all. It sends them as audio to cubase. You can even spread them over multiple computers if you want, but it is no requirement. And i own it, and i own reaper, and vienna outperformes reaper by 10fold. You will even be able to load in a lot more then you ever experienced due to the more efficien proces handling.

• You can use an older cubase version (i expect version 6 or lower) and use this version for the older vsti’s. You do not need any new license for it. You will have the old 2.4 engine, and everything will work as it did in the past.

FWIW,
kind regards,
R.