Hazy Vocals

Using: Komplete Audio 6, Mac OSX 10.9.4 (2.3Ghz, 16GB memory), Cubase Artist 7

I have both condenser and dynamic microphones. No matter which one I have plugged in, the sound that I record is not ‘true’ quality. Instead it sounds hazy and almost as if it is double tracked or with some kind of slight delay/ echo to it.

I do not have the issue when I run the microphones through Audacity rather than Cubase.

Sample rate is 44100Hz on Audacity and Cubase - I’ve attached a screen shot of my device setup page here.

Any suggestions?

Are you sure it’s the recorded sound that is the problem?..your description would suggest you are monitoring direct signal from the interface and also via Cubase (which would be delayed).
Use direct monitor only (don’t click monitor button in Cubase)

But this should not affect the recorded signal…post back if it really is the recording that sounds like this when you play it back.

Yes the recorded sound has the same issue and it’s not duplication of the monitors. Looking at this further I seem to have distinct issues relating to input 1 and input 2 that both don’t occur with Audacity but do occur with Cubase Artist 7

Input 1 - I get a hazy sound from it. Almost like it is blurred or digitised.

Input 2 - The sound from this input is clean and my mics all sound as I would hope them to. However, I have issues with the mics dropping out whenever there isn’t signal going in to them, or if the signal is a little quieter (we’re not talking ridiculously quiet here, only a little bit). I thought initially that this was a phantom power problem of some sort as I was using a phantom power mic at the time, however it happens with standard dynamic mics also. It only seems to happen with Input 2.

Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Hi londonboy78,

are you running the latest Cubase Artist 7.0.7 update? http://www.steinberg.net/en/support/downloads/downloads_cubase_artist_7.html

Regards

Yes I am

Are you using one of the supplied recording templates? These may very well have plugins already installed in the input channels and pre-set settings in the racks of the recording channel that are affecting your sound!

Hey there,

OK, wow, yes that does seem to have fixed it although I have no idea why it would have led to a problem?! I was using the Acoustic Guitar + Vocal template. Not sure why that would have had any presets but it seems to have for some reason…

Thanks - you have just saved me from having a nervous breakdown :slight_smile: