Headphone advice - Sennheiser HD 558 - any good?

LOL!!!
i just saw ‘rubberized’ and ‘after midnight’ there… hahahah! :smiling_imp:

Ah yes but regardless I will have the VRM doing 48Khz and looping back from my other humongous studio rig in digital resampling.

48 K 24 bit bliss here I come!

After reading this thread and looking into the Grado headphones, I bought a pair of SR-80i’s. They should be arriving in a few days.

I’ll let you know my first impressions when I get them. I will use Donald Fagen’s Nightfly; Rush’s Moving Pictures; and Depeche Mode’s Violator albums for reference. I know that Nightfly is often quoted as being the definitive comparison album to use for mixing engineers. (Paul…is this true based on what you’ve seen?) The other two are simply albums I am intimately familiar with.

Nice move! I guarantee your first impression will be “ouch - they’re too bright”. That will wear off after about ten hours of use and they will continue to “relax” over the next hundred hours or so (they don’t take as long to “run-in” as some phones).

Your next impression might be “This is how the mastering engineer meant it to sound”!

Enjoy!

Just read that and fell off my chair laughing, that has to be the funniest thing I’ve read all year :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

I plan on turning on WinAmp; queuing up my entire music library; and letting it play through the headphones overnight. At what volume should I play the music to break them in properly?

Maybe a bit louder than you would find comfortable. No need to go too mad!

For a good burn in @100h you will need to have them playing for about 4 days/nights!!!

They’re usable out of the box. They quite quickly “warm up”, I think 10 hours is enough to take the edge off the brightness then they improve with age. Like me. :open_mouth:

I keep telling my wife this, and she tells me to go to he11.

:laughing:

Zebbie - they improve with age. Like me. > :open_mouth:

foolomon - I keep telling my wife this, and she tells me to go to he11.

Well don’t let her try out your new Grados then. That’ll teach her. :laughing:

I love the SR80i cans! Color me ignorant because my Sony MDR’s were broken (by my cat who chewed through every exposed wire) a few years ago, but these headphones are awesome!

Join the rather exclusive Gradophiles Club! :sunglasses: :sunglasses:

Based on the recommendations here I tried to find grado’s here, but I can’t find a proper online retailer in Holland :frowning:

Strophoid - have you checked Ebay?

I bought mine on Amazon.