Headphones

Can anyone recommend a nice set of cans?
I currently have a set of sennhiser hd25s I like them but feel like they push into my ears to much.and no I don’t have a big head ha ha.

What do you guys use and recommend?

Cheers

For casual listening or mixing?

For tracking with mainly…but good quality ones as I Mic up and track myself on acoustic guitar.
I also do a lot of editing in them too and I sometimes do a headphones mix just for an idea of where the track is going.

Well, I have a $10 pair of Samson HP10’s for casual listening and tracking. They are actually really comfortable to me and my small head. :wink: The cord is also attached to only one side (recording conveniences in mind.) Yet the frequency response largely favors the bass, so I would say a flatter response would be better if you do alot of mixing.

If you’ve been using Sennheiser’s then I say you’re uptown. I would recommend you check out some more open-back headphones, which have better quality, keep the volume a little more out of your ear, and of course give the music ambience.

My 2 cents, but I’m sure some others have experiences with more brands, styles, etc…

That’s exactly it keep some of the noise out of my ears.come to think about it I do quite a bit in my phones beat building with sd 2 tracking acoustic and midi recording and production with pads and strings ect.

The sennhisers are good but im getting a touch of ringing in my ears I don’t monitor loud or have my phones too loud either.

open back headphones would help reduce the distance of how close the speakers of the phones are to my ear drums.the sennhisers squeeze to tight and after an hour or so they are squashing my ears.cant be good for your hearing.

I use a pair of Sennheiser 650’s. Really like them. Very accurate for mixing. Comfortable and don’t cause fatigue.

Hi, Folks!

Probably the best way to live monitor I’ve found is with Etymotics ER-4P’s
( http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er4.html ). These are very small in-ear “earphones” that provide a considerable amount of acoustic isolation (~40dB), and their designer, Dr. Mead Killion, is a world reknowned audiologist who’s worked long and hard to provide essentially flat frequency response to your ears.

These puppies aren’t inexpensive (MSRP is $299.- USD), and take a bit of getting used to for both insertion and removal from your ear canals (folks come up to me all the time, not realizing I can’t really hear what they’re saying when I’m wearing them). However, you can also have custom molds made for your specific ears to be used with these transducers for around $100 USD.

If they have a shortcoming, it’s probably that you can’t “feel the bass”. But the frequencies are there at your ears for sure!!! I’ve also found that they’ve actually assisted my abilities to focus and “teach” myself to listen to live music in a natural environment and translate that sound to the recording. At a recent concert performance I was recording, I happened to pull one earphone out during rehearsals. And after balancing the volume between both ears, beyond the physical fit issue, it was really difficult to tell which ear was hearing the electronic feed, and which one was hearing the natural acoustic feed!

Also, when using them, it helps a great deal to loop each ear’s cable over the top of your ear pinna, as this isolates most cable vibration noises along with using the provided clip to secure the cable to your shirt.

They aren’t everyone’s “cup of tea”, but for definitive monitoring, I’ve found they beat everything from Sony’s workhorse MDR series, Sennheisers, and Koss & STAX Electrostatics for both isolation and the real world response of what your microphones, mix, EQ, etc. are providing. And you don’t have to do what I did, and build a specific acoustically isolated and professionally calibrated studio in your basement! :astonished:

Check 'em out, and if you like them, GREAT! If you don’t, that’s OK too! As I said, they’re not everyone’s “cup of tea”.

B.T.W. Etymotics also makes fabulous and inexpensive hearing protectors: ER-20’s for an MSRP of $12.95 USD
( http://www.etymotic.com/hp/er20.html ). These are designed to attenuate all frequencies evenly, so when wearing them, everything sounds the same, but is much quieter, which protects your hearing from loud levels! The also have a more expensive line of active electronic ear protector systems ( http://www.etymotic.com/hp/ ), but unless you’re using real dynamite for your performances, you probably don’t need them! :laughing:

Ha ha thanks for sharing they look very interesting I will have a good read up on them.

Also the other sennhisers as well both good options guys thankyou :mrgreen:

Hi there,

I use several different types:

1. Beyerdynamic DT 880 Pro, the best headphones I ever bought. I think I will never use other anymore…

2. Sennheiser HD 380 Pro, good and not so expensive…

3. Sennheider HD 25, I used now for about 7 years, but now only for just hearing music.

Cheers,

Marcus