hearing differences using izotope ozone

Hi, i recently purchased cubase 6 and have been using reaper and basically the same plugs and effects and loops for the past couple of months for a project im working on. When i went and made a song in cubase 6 and put ozone on the master fx, i noticed that ozone wasn’t really doing anything and most of my fav presets now sound kind of squashed. I tried a null test between both daws on just a basic render of a 4 bar loop and nulled perfectly in both apps. however when i added the same ozone fx neither would null and there was a subtle shift in time in the rendered files it seemed. im not sure which app was drifting or if izotope is doing something differently in cubase or cubase needs to be set a certain way. Any comments greatly appreciated.

So you produced 2 exact the same loops, one in Cubase and one in Reaper. Then you did a nulltest by comparing the Cubase against the Reaper loop?
If that test nulls out, it tells us the Reaper and Cubase output of audio engine and handling of the material you used (VSTi, audio?) are exactly and I mean exactly the same at the rate & bits you work on.

When you wrote:

I thought, maybe the output levels within the CB mixer internally are higher then the Reaper levels so it reaches the Izotop at higher input.
But this could not be the case assuming the earlier nulltest is correct.

I don’t think you need to set Cubase in a certain way to handle Steinberg’s VST. Next to that, the problem is you don’t know how it should be set because Reaper is your reference (your good) and Cubase is your difference (your bad). When I buy Reaper, it’s exacltly the other way around :wink:

But back on track. You are certain the test files start at exactly the same time? It is possible one program handles Izotope more efficient then the other. Or maybe some latency compensation kicks in and creates a slight difference in timing.

I don’t know how big the differences are, if the nulltest shows small differences I wouldn’t crack your brain about it to much unless you hear very distinct differences in a normal A/B comparison.

i rendered 2 of the same loops from reaper and cubase, both nulled, hoever hen added the output of ozone to each da, the output result became diffrent, possible delay compensation. the ozone renders had a flanger like effect and the effect changed every 4 bars. as using a basic audio file 4 bar loop and copied it out on the time line.

right exactly, the renders from cubase and reaper are identical not using any extra vst in the render process. only notice difference audible ise in cubase, null test shows that reaper and cubase are rendering/playing output differently. Any izotope devs in here care to chime in?

Cubase 6 rocks!! btw

Have you tried to nudge one of the tracks sample by sample in your nulltest to see if there’s just a delay of one of the signals. (as Niles suggested, maybe related to latency compensation)

/A

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26001646/ozone%20null%20test%20reaper%20render.wav
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26001646/null%20ozone%20test%20cubase.wav
these 2 files are renders with ozone

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26001646/3rd%20reaper%20null%20no%20fx.wav
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/26001646/null%20test%20cubase%20no%20fx.wav
these are files with no fx, rendered from diffrent hosts. as u can see these 2 null, the 1st 2 with the fx dont. and per original comment, presets sound very diffrent in cubase compared to reaper. typical project has imported audio media, midi data and vsti synths.

using cubase 32bit. reaper 64bit. win7 64bit.

thanks every1.

Very VERY interesting, if you load all 4 examples into Cubase you can easily see that three of them are time coherent, and that one is drifting from beat to beat.
And you are correct, it is in fact the Cubase 6 version together with Ozone that drifts.

If you try to null the two processed tracks you can easily hear the problem, the time shifting creates a sample and hold phaser effect with a triplet-ish “beat” to it.

What happens if you load the plugin in Cubase but set all parameters so that no processing takes place? No presets, no nothing, just the audio going through the plug, and null that with the original audio from Reaper (or Cubase for that matter)?

I would not hesitate to contact both iZotope and Steinberg directly with this if no solution comes up.

/A

good idea, i will try this first and report results…

ok tried another test just putting ozone on master in both reaper and cubase with no preset loaded just ozone, same loop again, this time nulled, so something is happening when the preset gets loaded? , using the heavy bass ambience preset in izotope and u can use the same drumloop from the link of the renders with no fx. can any1 else concur this?

Cubase drifts for sure!

On micro level compared to the Reaper output:
The first count of the Cubase file starts 61 samples later, the second count is 41 samples later, and in between (the 2nd kick) it is 29 samples later. The third count is 63 samples later and the fourth 31 samples.

So you can safely say there is some jitter going on in Cubase.

Like TwinOak suggested, contact both developers.

What worries me, is Ozone the only plug that causes Cubase to shift samples?
And another question that comes to mind. Are the shifts in time, random or consequent, in other words, what happens when you null two different Ozone exports from Cubase?

Keep us posted!

Are you running Cubase in 64 bit and Reaper in 32bit or something of that nature?

Yes he is :wink:
I think it should not matter though.

What could matter: is “Constrain Delay Compensation” enabled or disabled?

Sorry I just re-read his post telling which bit versions he was using. I was thinking that if Ozone was a 32 bit program there might be something in the bridging.

Thanks for the responses, hopefully will have more answers in the next week.