Yesterday I saved this project several times during the day under new version names. The latest 6 versions cannot be opened in Dorico 5.2 or in version Dorico 4.
A restart doesn’t help. Older versions of the file works fine.
Can anyone save the project
Ukraine National Anthem 3 st D.zip (2.2 MB)
Unfortunately I get the same result when trying to open your file.
Here with me the same, the project file won’t open, also if I take out the audio engine data. @dspreadbury needs to take a look, please.
We’re looking into this, please bear with us.
@Dich, do you recall whether you had been inputting text items prior to the problem occurring?
Yes. This Suite of Ukrainian Songs should have pages with text only, so I tried to make flows with text frames and no instruments, but they /the frames and the page disappeared when I in the Setup window right clicked on the Flows icon and Clicked the instruments off. So I deleted all the new flows.
My colleague Andrew has spent the afternoon digging into this and has been able to fix your project so that it opens again. Here you go:
Ukraine National Anthem 3 st D fixed.dorico (2.2 MB)
Thank you very much. So happy. What a fantastic service the Dorico Team offers its customer’s. Send a lot of greetings to Andrew.
I started teaching computer-writing to my arrangement students in 1993 (Mac and Logic) . Later I taught Sibelius for a major part of students on the Conservatory. After retiring: I have used Dorico from the first release and dropped Sibelius at version 7.52. It is a pleasure to work with Dorico.
All the best - Arne Dich
Indeed an amazing and unparalleled service the Dorico team provides! It may be too complicated to explain to a non-technician but I’d be curious to know what was wrong with the file and what Andrew did to fix it.
It is pretty technical, I’m afraid! It’s to do with how null-terminated strings are handled.
So, nothing an ordinary user could watch out for, I suppose?
No, indeed not, and in any case Dorico should handle it gracefully so that you don’t need to worry about it.
We don’t know exactly why Arne ran into this problem here, but in the past some similar problems have been caused by copying and pasting text into Dorico from another application, and the pasted text is unusually terminated. This works OK in the way the text is processed and displayed, and even technically in the way it’s saved, but due to the way the binary project file format is set up, it then causes a problem when it’s reloaded.
Now I remember what happened.
- One of the first things that morning was that I in Photoscore scanned a 4-part choir-pdf with Cyrillic text, notated in a pianoscore. . Music is perfect scanned, and as usual problems with the text-recognition. Saved as *.xml.
- Opened the Dorico-file. It contained 6-7 flows with sketches with folksongs for 3 wind-instruments. Created a new flow for the new song.
- Instead of importthe xml into Dorico I (with the mouse) dragged the *.xml into the flow. (It works in many other programs.) The operation created 2 new instruments - a piano: looking perfect.
- Maybe it was here I got a message with warning about 5 textfonts. I’m not sure.
- I copied the music from the piano to the three winds and deleted all text and lyric (Cyrillic font) – and deleted the 2 pianoinstruments. (Stil seen in the NP mixer)
- Saved the file and continued working for many hours, saving several times, also with a new name.
- And as I wrote earlier in this “posting”: “Yes. This Suite of Ukrainian Songs should have pages with text only, so I tried to make flows with text frames and no instruments, but they /the frames and the page disappeared when I in the Setup window right clicked on the Flows icon and Clicked the instruments off. So I deleted all the new flows.”
- The day after I contacted the Dorico-page with my question.
- Again: Thank you very much for the fantastic service from the Dorico-staff.
Has anything in your file been visibly changed, or does it look as you remember it and the fixes Anthony performed were completely ‘under the hood’?
Totally OT, but…
You can turn off PhotoScore’s text recognition so it doesn’t even read the text. I do this much of the time to get cleaner xml files.
To Vaughan: It is exactly as I remember it. 11 minutes is really enough can I hear now. But some of the repetitions are to be used if the listeners want to sing. The Ukrainian text will be included along with notes about the songs. I have to transpose to song-friendly (and player friendly) keys. Later a new second version will have versions of the parts for many different instruments and transpositions, including piano and chordsymbols.etc… As you can see in the “Prayer” I have made a lot of slurs; fine dotted - to overwrite NP’s sometimes irritating shortening of notes. I always include a mp3 to my arrangements. And writing “legato” is not the right solution in my view. - But I really am happy for the results NP can produce… And for the flow-system in Dorico. I can easily move them around now for the right order. (It was terrible in the other notationprogram to do things like this)
To Janus: Thanks for the tip. I will try that option next time.