Help installing Nuendo - support request has been ignored

I just cross converted from Cubase to Nuendo and need to install on Mac. The Download Assistant opens and immediately crashes.

Uninstalled, installed, removed nearly every font (which caused significant issues with workflow for other things) and then tried restarting multiple times. Launched with and without other programs. Launched with and without Dongle attached.

Contacted Steinberg on July 9 and didn’t receive a response. Sent several messages on the same Open ticket and I haven’t had a single response.

Went to Facebook and posted in Community, was asked to send a private message - but there is no facility to do this to ‘Steinberg’

Essentially purchased an £800 application which doesn’t install because of the paranoid way that Steinberg thinks people don’t want to pay for software. I get this need to protect IP but this is at the expense of users who can’t use the software. Other users reporting issues with Steinberg Download Assistant and there appears to be no solution. I need to be able to download software and update and if Download Assistant isn’t fully working with a Mac with fully licenced software on it from key providers such as Adobe, then there is no point of owning the product.

Can anyone help or tell me how to contact Steinberg as they are not responding to Support Requests and I think that waiting more than half a month is very poor service for a product costing £800

Hi There,

that sucks! Can you please state some more info about your system, please?

Cheers

Hi.

Before anyone can help you, we need to know:

Which model Mac computer, how much RAM etc.
Which operating system.

What software, if any, is running at the same time you are using the download assistant.

PS There is a really long lag time for support requests… some people wait over a month.

Hi Davinzee, Hi noeqplease,

MacBook Pro, Mid 2018, 3.1 GHz Intel Core i7, 16GB RAM. No other software running at same time, always reboot. Issue is the well-known issue with Download Assistant. Re-installed 3-times, always reboot. App crashes immediately after start. Tried with and without dongle attached. Have enough literacy with Mac and PC to know that this is directly related to download assistant. This is the only time I have had an issue with an installer over the past few years, with the exception of well-documented issues with other company (eg adobe). I’ve waited for a support repsonse since July 9 and sent further communications on the same open ticket and they have all been ignored.

Mojave 10.14.6 installed and running very well.

For what it’s worth:

If you’re having a problem with the Download Assistant, there’re a lot of people out here who aren’t, so that suggests an idiosyncrasy in your system is keeping you from enjoying its utility.

But, cutting to the chase-- if you need a full-install version, and can’t get it through the DA, and there’s no way to get one via direct download (I’m pretty sure there is, but finding it…) I’d be happy put one up for you. PM me and let me know. I’m assuming that’s an ethical and legal way to get the immediate problem dealt with.

Mods, am I breaking the rules here?

Chewy

Hi Chewy,

Thanks a million. That’s a really kind offer. The two reasons I’m not looking for a direct download is because firstly I want steinberg to sort the issue out with a fix or one of you amazingly clever users. Secondly it makes updates so much easier. All of my software is fully licensed and all my plugins are too. I’ve converted from cubase to nuendo and cubase was fine. Nuendo just can’t get this crazy assistant download software to work. It installs fine, just crashes every start and does not get to the screen but task manager says it is running

Ok… well, if you change your mind, it’s here.

In the meantime, have you run Onyx? Sounds like the kind of thing that it’s helped me with from time to time.

Chewy

What am I missing?

On this page you can download the initial Nuendo 10 installer (Bottom page) and the 10.3 update.

Fredo

@Stuartmurphy: To save you from repeating yourself and to assist others with helping you it is a good idea to enter details of your system in your ‘signature’.

To do this, locate your name at the top of the forum page (to the right of ‘Private messages’) and click on it. Then select ‘User Control Panel’. Then select the [Profile] tab, then ‘Edit Signature’. What ever you write and [submit] here will then always appear at the bottom of all of your posts.

Not exactly, Fredo. “The full installer” link gives you the Download Assistant, which is where this issue begins. You can get the smaller update installer directly from that page.

Chewy

OS/Steinberg\ Download\ Assistant ; exit;
Jul 25, 2020 6:13:35 PM tornadofx.Stylesheet$Companion detectAndInstallUrlHandler
INFO: Installing CSS url handler, since it was not picked up automatically
Exception in Preloader start method
Exception in thread “main” java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.springframework.boot.loader.MainMethodRunner.run(MainMethodRunner.java:48)
at org.springframework.boot.loader.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:87)
at org.springframework.boot.loader.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:50)
at org.springframework.boot.loader.JarLauncher.main(JarLauncher.java:51)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Exception in Preloader start method
at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.launchApplication1(LauncherImpl.java:899)
at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication$154(LauncherImpl.java:182)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at javafx.scene.control.ProgressIndicator.createDefaultSkin(ProgressIndicator.java:199)
at javafx.scene.control.Control.impl_processCSS(Control.java:872)
at javafx.scene.Parent.impl_processCSS(Parent.java:1280)
at javafx.scene.Node.processCSS(Node.java:9058)
at javafx.scene.Scene.doCSSPass(Scene.java:545)
at javafx.scene.Scene.preferredSize(Scene.java:1643)
at javafx.scene.Scene.impl_preferredSize(Scene.java:1720)
at javafx.stage.Window$9.invalidated(Window.java:864)
at javafx.beans.property.BooleanPropertyBase.markInvalid(BooleanPropertyBase.java:109)
at javafx.beans.property.BooleanPropertyBase.set(BooleanPropertyBase.java:144)
at javafx.stage.Window.setShowing(Window.java:940)
at javafx.stage.Window.show(Window.java:955)
at javafx.stage.Stage.show(Stage.java:259)
at net.steinberg.elicenser.download.gui.preloader.StartingScreen.start(StartingScreen.kt:57)
at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication1$159(LauncherImpl.java:785)
at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runAndWait$174(PlatformImpl.java:326)
at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$null$172(PlatformImpl.java:295)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$173(PlatformImpl.java:294)
at com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(InvokeLaterDispatcher.java:95)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.sun.javafx.font.MacFontFinder.populateFontFileNameMap(MacFontFinder.java:99)
at com.sun.javafx.font.PrismFontFactory.getFullNameToFileMap(PrismFontFactory.java:1740)
at com.sun.javafx.font.PrismFontFactory.getFontResource(PrismFontFactory.java:469)
at com.sun.javafx.font.LogicalFont.getSlot0Resource(LogicalFont.java:194)
at com.sun.javafx.font.LogicalFont.getDefaultAAMode(LogicalFont.java:409)
at com.sun.javafx.font.LogicalFont.getStrike(LogicalFont.java:413)
at com.sun.javafx.font.PrismFont.getStrike(PrismFont.java:73)
at com.sun.javafx.text.PrismTextLayout.setContent(PrismTextLayout.java:138)
at javafx.scene.text.Text.getTextLayout(Text.java:229)
at javafx.scene.text.Text.needsFullTextLayout(Text.java:184)
at javafx.scene.text.Text.access$200(Text.java:95)
at javafx.scene.text.Text$2.invalidated(Text.java:389)
at javafx.beans.property.StringPropertyBase.markInvalid(StringPropertyBase.java:109)
at javafx.beans.property.StringPropertyBase.set(StringPropertyBase.java:144)
at javafx.beans.property.StringPropertyBase.set(StringPropertyBase.java:49)
at javafx.scene.text.Text.setText(Text.java:370)
at javafx.scene.text.Text.(Text.java:129)
at com.sun.javafx.scene.control.skin.ProgressIndicatorSkin.(ProgressIndicatorSkin.java:166)
… 21 more
2020-07-25 18:13:35.904 Steinberg Download Assistant[22919:911299] Steinberg Download Assistant:Failed to launch JVM
logout
Saving session…
…copying shared history…
…saving history…truncating history files…
…completed.
Deleting expired sessions…46 completed.

Looking at your crash dump, try upgrading JAVA (I know it may not make sense but it is one of the first things there).

Cheers and good luck.

Yes, immediately checked Java to make sure and it is the latest version. I thought the same when I saw this but don’t have the expertise to understand the report in detail.

Try this, and also rebooting afterwards:

https://java.com/en/download/help/mac_java_cache.xml

Hi,

Thanks for the link noeqplease. Did this and rebooted:

Last login: Sat Jul 25 18:13:32 on ttys000
StuartMBP:~ stuart$ /Applications/Steinberg\ Download\ Assistant/Steinberg\ Download\ Assistant.app/Contents/MacOS/Steinberg\ Download\ Assistant ; exit;
Jul 25, 2020 7:41:39 PM tornadofx.Stylesheet$Companion detectAndInstallUrlHandler
INFO: Installing CSS url handler, since it was not picked up automatically
Exception in Preloader start method
Exception in thread “main” java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:498)
at org.springframework.boot.loader.MainMethodRunner.run(MainMethodRunner.java:48)
at org.springframework.boot.loader.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:87)
at org.springframework.boot.loader.Launcher.launch(Launcher.java:50)
at org.springframework.boot.loader.JarLauncher.main(JarLauncher.java:51)
Caused by: java.lang.RuntimeException: Exception in Preloader start method
at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.launchApplication1(LauncherImpl.java:899)
at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication$154(LauncherImpl.java:182)
at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)
Caused by: java.lang.ExceptionInInitializerError
at javafx.scene.control.ProgressIndicator.createDefaultSkin(ProgressIndicator.java:199)
at javafx.scene.control.Control.impl_processCSS(Control.java:872)
at javafx.scene.Node.processCSS(Node.java:9058)
at javafx.scene.Scene.doCSSPass(Scene.java:545)
at javafx.scene.Scene.preferredSize(Scene.java:1643)
at javafx.scene.Scene.impl_preferredSize(Scene.java:1720)
at javafx.stage.Window$9.invalidated(Window.java:864)
at javafx.beans.property.BooleanPropertyBase.markInvalid(BooleanPropertyBase.java:109)
at javafx.beans.property.BooleanPropertyBase.set(BooleanPropertyBase.java:144)
at javafx.stage.Window.setShowing(Window.java:940)
at javafx.stage.Window.show(Window.java:955)
at javafx.stage.Stage.show(Stage.java:259)
at net.steinberg.elicenser.download.gui.preloader.StartingScreen.start(StartingScreen.kt:57)
at com.sun.javafx.application.LauncherImpl.lambda$launchApplication1$159(LauncherImpl.java:785)
at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runAndWait$174(PlatformImpl.java:326)
at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$null$172(PlatformImpl.java:295)
at java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at com.sun.javafx.application.PlatformImpl.lambda$runLater$173(PlatformImpl.java:294)
at com.sun.glass.ui.InvokeLaterDispatcher$Future.run(InvokeLaterDispatcher.java:95)
Caused by: java.lang.NullPointerException
at com.sun.javafx.font.MacFontFinder.populateFontFileNameMap(MacFontFinder.java:99)
at com.sun.javafx.font.PrismFontFactory.getFullNameToFileMap(PrismFontFactory.java:1740)
at com.sun.javafx.font.PrismFontFactory.getFontResource(PrismFontFactory.java:469)
at com.sun.javafx.font.LogicalFont.getSlot0Resource(LogicalFont.java:194)
at com.sun.javafx.font.LogicalFont.getDefaultAAMode(LogicalFont.java:409)
at com.sun.javafx.font.LogicalFont.getStrike(LogicalFont.java:413)
at com.sun.javafx.font.PrismFont.getStrike(PrismFont.java:73)
at com.sun.javafx.text.PrismTextLayout.setContent(PrismTextLayout.java:138)
at javafx.scene.text.Text.getTextLayout(Text.java:229)
at javafx.scene.text.Text.needsFullTextLayout(Text.java:184)
at javafx.scene.text.Text.access$200(Text.java:95)
at javafx.scene.text.Text$2.invalidated(Text.java:389)
at javafx.beans.property.StringPropertyBase.markInvalid(StringPropertyBase.java:109)
at javafx.beans.property.StringPropertyBase.set(StringPropertyBase.java:144)
at javafx.beans.property.StringPropertyBase.set(StringPropertyBase.java:49)
at javafx.scene.text.Text.setText(Text.java:370)
at javafx.scene.text.Text.(Text.java:129)
at com.sun.javafx.scene.control.skin.ProgressIndicatorSkin.(ProgressIndicatorSkin.java:166)
… 21 more
2020-07-25 19:41:39.782 Steinberg Download Assistant[23950:947868] Steinberg Download Assistant:Failed to launch JVM
logout
Saving session…
…copying shared history…
…saving history…truncating history files…
…completed.

[Process completed]

Hi,

I think this might be the issue: Java seems to not be able to display some text either in the download assistant,
or the eLicenser software.

https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/OpenJFX/Debug+Flags

Prism is a display code inside Java. It seems to want hardware acceleration of your graphics card OFF. Maybe try that?

Maybe this is it? If this is not, we’ll need someone more knowledgeable than me in Java. It’s been a while since I
coded in that language.

Cheers,
Nick

Another thing is to reset your SMB and PRAM.

And finally, maybe reinstalling Mojave might do it. I know that sucks,
but it is not Catalina… can your laptop run Mac OSX 10.15???

Mojave was known to be a POS in many regards.