Help!. Need more names. Duane Eddy and Miles Davis only?

Aloha guys,

Today after church we orchestra players got into a lil discussion/test about
naming a musician after hearing only one note played by that person.

Keep in mind the test was about:
AFTER HEARING ONLY ONE NOTE PLAYED!!!
(And no. Voxes are not part of the discussion).

I could only come up with two musicians that fit that criteria.

Duane Eddy with that Fender ‘Tremolo’ ‘rear pick-up’ sound
and
Miles Davis with that modified Harmon mute sound.

In each case only one note is needed to recognize who is playing.

Of course both have since been mucho imitated but these two were the first (of which I have knowledge)
with those distinctive sounds.

So help me out guys.
I would love to have some additional ammo, (I mean info/names. ha!) for next Sunday’s discussion. :slight_smile:

TIA (thanks in advance)
{‘-’}

Gillespie

Tanx f,

Thought of Chris Squire from ‘Yes’ with his Rickenbacker bass sound.
{‘-’}

Jimmy Hendrix, Chuck Berry…

Michael Brecker!

BB King

Chuck Mangione “Feels so Good” :sunglasses:

George Harrison
Hard days night (okay that’s a chord) Here comes the sun, and many more.
Jeff Beck, Ry Cooder, Jimmy Page, Johnny and Edgar Winter…
For KB Mike Pinder in numerous Moody Blues songs, Keith Emerson, Rick Wakeman…

Jaco Pastorius

Yo Yo Ma doing John Cage’s 4’33" … unmistakable!

One note ?
How about Wilton Felder’s cyclic breathing one note on the recorded live version of Eleanor Rigby by the Crusaders ? ( Or was it So Far Away (live ) ? )

Seamus (that’s the dog…).
Or does that count as a vocal?

On a serious note, it seems like Robert Smith’s guitar always had a very distinctive sound (especially in the later years).

And then there is the Edge, who, technically can’t play just one note, but you can always tell it’s him. :smiley:

John Scofield (jazz guitar) has a tone like nobody else’s… possibly it’s that Ibanez guitar. Hendrix usually, although many have copied carefully. Mike Stern has a unique tone (jazz on a telecaster!).

The “one note” limitation seems a bit arbitrary, and questionable (some suggestions herein especially, since they tend to be some of the most copied and emulated players on the planet).

Extend to three bars and you can add Paul Desmond to the list of distinctive and readily identifiable players. No one plays like he did.

The “one note” limitation seems a bit arbitrary, and questionable (some suggestions herein especially, since they tend to be some of the most copied and emulated players on the planet. Walter Trout, Chris Duarte and Kenny Wayne Sheppard can cop Jimi and SRV equally adeptly when they want to).

Extend to three bars and you can add Paul Desmond to the list of distinctive and readily identifiable players. No one plays like he did.

Let us not forget Les Paul!

The Beatles… “I feel fine” (the very first note is awesomely recognizable) Don’t know if it was George or John :sunglasses:

TANX guys!!!

This is great!

Can’t wait to next Sunday to ‘blast’ those guys. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile:

{‘-’}

Steve Gadd’s floor tom-tom. esp on all the mid-1970’s Corea recordings.

DickDale - surf guitar