Help needed using multiple midi controllers in live situation

Hi All, I’ve been searching for an answer to this for a while and would be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction.

I have Cubase 8.5 and want to record (and monitor) 2 midi keyboards plus a midi drum kit at the same time e.g. first keyboard controlling a piano plugin, second keyboard a Hammond plugin and drums controlling EZDrummer (all at the same time).

I can do this ok if I use USB controllers as I can pick the correct controller under the input dropdown. However I want to use old fashioned midi keyboards I set my input dropdown to ‘midi interface’

Therefore problem I have is when the track monitor buttons are selected, each of the midi controllers plays ALL vst plugins simultaneously e.g. when I hit a snare the piano and organ also sound. And this is regardless of having each device set to a different midi channel.

I’ve read the books and been googling for days and can only think that I’m missing something fundamental.

Thanks in advance :wink:

Hi and welcome,

Where is you old MIDI Keyboard connected to? You have to select this “transit” device as an Input. You can use some MIDI > USB converters.

Thanks for taking the time to reply.

I have my midi keyboards and drums connected to a MOTU midi merge box, then from the midi merge box into the midi in on my audio interface (NI Komplete Audio 6).

I have each midi keyboard transmitting on a different midi channel, and that is working as you would expect on something like Halion e.g. I can have a different keyboard trigger a different sound slot via the relative midi channels. However something not multi-timbral like retrologue receives notes from all midi keyboards regardless of how I set the track up.

I see. In this case, you could use Input Transformer to filter out dedicated MIDI Channel on the Track.