Help recreating this technique

Is there a way of recreating this technique? Often seen as a jazz technique:
Rip

Looks like a gliss (click on note, shift-o, type “gliss” press return, choose the vibrato type in the options panel below, hide text) then add staff text with shift-x

Ok. Will it follow the gliss-wavy line? If not, is there any way to recreate it and replace the gliss text with Rip?

You could create a custom line that looks like this, although it wouldn’t play back in the same way as a glissando line.

See Jazz Articulations in Dorico | New Features in Dorico 2.2 - YouTube

Thank you. All great information. I tried to create a custom line as was also suggested, but could not get it to connect between the 2 notes diagonally. Ultimately, I would like to recreate the Gliss wavy line but replace the text with Rip. As it appears, there may not be a way to do that.

Yes, select Note as start and end at the top of the lines panel.

Jesper

Screenshot 2022-01-30 at 19.16.03

The first is using a gliss and staff text
the second is using a line (I learned stuff about lines!)

Both seem right to me? The second one better in my opinion?

Yes, that’s it. now, for the simpleton in the room, How did you create that? The second version is what I am after. I was able to create the first version with system text, but could not make it closer to the gliss and top staff line.

Ah ha. Thanks. My text, unfortunately, stayed vertical and did not follow the line.

[quote=“ASteelerfan, post:9, topic:763769, full:true”]
Yes, that’s it. now, for the simpleton in the room, How did you create that? The second version is what I am after. I was able to create the first version with system text, but could not make it closer to the gliss and top staff line.

Step 1

Screenshot 2022-01-30 at 19.53.23

Step 2 (after selecting starting note)

Step 3:

I don’t think you need to create a custom line, nor add staff text.

Just select your 2 notes, add the (horizontal) line of your choice (from the lines panel, attached to note at start and end), then set your text using the properties panel.
rip-line

1 Like

FANTASTIC! I knew it had to be simpler than I was making it.

Thank you so much.

2 Likes

Any time :slight_smile: