Help undersanding Mono->Stereo FX

Hi All:

I have a simple question about mono-to-stereo effects.

If I have a mono track–say a vocal–can I apply stereo effects to that track and get a stereo result? For example, let’s say I want to add a stereo vocal doubler or Steinberg’s built in Mono-to-Stereo effect to create some stereo spread on the track?

Here are a few more targeted questions:

1. What happens when I put a stereo insert effect on the 1-6 inserts of a mono track? Is the result mono?
  2. If the answer to #1 is no, what happens when I put a stereo insert effect on the post-fader 7-8 slots of a mono track? Since that comes after the fader and panner, would THAT make it stereo?
  3. If the answer to #2 i also no, I guess my next option would be to create an FX track and route the vocal to that. However, I would need to send it pre-fader and turn the track fader completely down if I want 100% of the signal effected.

Thanks in advance!

Hi lights,

an effect with a stereo out needs a stereo track. It’s as simple as that. Insert slots 7 and 8 are mono on a mono track.
For using the MonoToStereo plug-in, create a stereo track and load your mono file into this track, and you will get your stereo spread.

Thanks!

Or you could create a Stereo group track with stereo plugs in its inserts and send your Vox track to it. (use the group track as the output of the mono track)

Very true!