Help with bringing old projects up to date

Hey guys.

So I’ve been putting off this job as just thinking about it hurts my brain. But I’ve got a new laptop and I want to start afresh. I have C12 installed on the new machine, with C8.5 on my old machine. (both Windows)

All my old projects contain a mix of 32bit/64bit plugins bridged by Jbridge, and pretty much every project uses Groove Agent ONE.

So, I’ve decided rather than trying to push water uphill by trying to use outdated plugins on my new machine I’m just going to start fresh on the new machine using only 64bit plugins and whatever Groove Agent that is included in C12, GA5? SE? Whatever it is.

I could do with some tips to make the transition as painless as possible, especially with regards to the following points: how best to identify which plugins are 32bit? In order to look for 64bit versions or alternatives. And, how best to tackle the transition from GA-ONE to GA-5/SE? I had planned on saving GA-ONE kits in C8.5 then trying to open them in GA-5/SE in C12, but all the output routing in each project was making my head spin. So I’ve decided it probably best just to bounce down each project to audio files for simplicity’s sake and just start fresh on the new machine with those. Creating new kits from the audio files in GA-5/SE going forward if required. But how does this affect group tracks? Say for example you bounce down eight drum tracks to audio including all the effects, what then if all those drum tracks are bussed to a ‘drums’ group for extra processing? Similarly, send FX?


Cubase 13 is out for 2 days now, if you really want to be up to date. :wink:

You can install the 64-bit version of the plug-in only. Or you can open the VST Plug-in Manager, where you can see if the plug-in is 32- or 64-bit. And you can remove or hide all 32-bit plug-ins. Or you can just remove the path to the 32-bit plug-ins in the VST Plug-in Manager, so Cubase will ot scan and use them.

If you still want to use Groove Agent One sounds for your old projects, you can try this way. If you don’t, just start Groove Agent SE and use its own libraries.

Similar here although a bit different, in that my goal is more archival. The classic approach is to use an older version of Cubase that can run the older plug-ins. Then render each Track as Audio making sure to print the effects and processing. Once all the Tracks are Audio only they can be freely imported and used in a more modern DAW. Depending on your source material you might also want to print some stems from group tracks and maybe wet and dry versions.

I’ve been putting this off for ages - it’s like you can do the dishes or play with the shiny new toy. I wonder how to best automate the task.

1 Like

+1 on the stem printing approach. As tedious as it is, I’ve made that part of my workflow now:

When a project is finished, I freeze all VST instrument tracks (so I get the WAV renderings of the instrument plugins), and I make stems of all my group tracks.

These stems come in very handy for when somebody wants to make a remix of one of my tracks, too!

Any tips on reducing the tedium?

Also I’m wondering how the new C13 capability to use anything as a source for an Audio Track might simplify things. Seems like you could

  1. Use Save As… to create a version of the Project dedicated to stems.
  2. Add as many new Audio Tracks as the number of stems you want to end up with.
  3. On each Audio Track set its Input as needed for the desired stem
  4. Record Enable the Audio Tracks and play the Project through to capture the Audio
  5. (Optional) Delete everything except the stem Tracks, so now you have an Audio only Project without any plug-ins - which should be very portable & tech proof.

Of course the above wouldn’t work for lots of older stuff.

1 Like

Tips … hmmm … well, you can use the batch export functionality in the Export Audio dialog to batch-render things. Multiple-selecting the tracks to be frozen (recent C12 feature) helps, too.

The biggest tip is to really think through your stem needs ahead of time, and start all projects from a template that already has all the necessary routing, groups, etc. set up ahead of time.

I happen to import the rendered stems into the source project (have a section for that in my project template) before archiving it, that way everything is in one place. It also makes it easy to do a spot check on the rendered files.