Help with MediaBay 1.0.20

The blog of Dorico says:
We have now deployed an updated version of MediaBay, version 1.0.20 (please run Steinberg Download Assistant to be sure it gets installed on your system!), which in conjunction with Dorico 4.3.30 solves this issue. As such, we recommend that you install the Dorico 4.3.30 and MediaBay updates as soon as possible.

I own Dorico Elements 4 and Cubase 12 Pro.

I don’t find any download available for Media Bay in the Steinberg Download Assistant.

I always thought that Media Bay was a component inside Cubase. I always thought that Media Bay didn’t exist inside Dorico.

I don’t find any menu item to open Media Bay in Dorico Elements 4. I don’t find any entry of “Media Bay” in the manual.

Can somebody explain me how it works Media Bay with Dorico? And how to download it?

Thanks a lot.

Just running (i.e. opening) the SDA downloaded the current version, at least in my case.

how do you open media bay in Dorico?

MediaBay is a service that runs in the background. You don’t open it directly, but for example HALion Sonic is using it to find sounds and presets or let the user browse for it.
So if HALion Sonic or effect plug-ins show and find their presets with you, then everything is fine and you don’t need to further care.
I hope this is enough as a quick explanation.

Thanks for the explanation @Ulf

I was not aware that HALion was using Media Bay in Dorico. I always thought that Media Bay was only used by Cubase in my computer as a Cubase window browser.

Everything have a lot of sense now after your explanation.

I can find the presets of HALion Sonic and other effect plug-ins, so it seems everything is working correctly.

I guess MediaBay was updated to 1.0.20 in the last update to Cubase 12.0.52, but there is nothing in the release notes of Cubase.

The new thing about MediaBay is, that it is now a shared service. In the past, Cubase had it’s own Media database and Dorico had as well, and every other Steinberg product, too.
Now with the new MediaService, they all share the same database. So if e.g. you add a new preset to an effect plug-in in Dorico, then Cubase will see that immediately as well.
And because MediaBay is now shared among applications, it does not get installed along with a certain product any more, but it is part now of the common environment and it gets installed at the same time when you install the Steinberg Download Assistant.

Aaaah, ok, well noted.
Thanks for the info. I was not aware of this big change. I find it very smart and useful.

When I opened SDA yesterday, it was auto-updating itself. Do you mean that MediaBay was also auto-updating then?

Anyway, I am curious to check if I have running MediaBay 1.0.20.
Is it possible to check wich version of MediaBay is installed?

Yes, on Windows it is under C:\Program Files\Steinberg\MediaBay. Check the version number of the SteinbergMediaBayServer.exe (Right click → Properties > Details tab)

Sorry @Ulf

I should say you that I am on MacOS 12.6.3 (Monterey)!

I find it.

It’s here:
/Library/Application Support/Steinberg/MediaBay/SteinbergMediaBayServer.app

It says 1.0.20. Perfect.

Thanks @Ulf

1 Like