Help with Playback Templates Using Endpoint Configurations

So I am new to Playback Templates and custom endpoint configurations. I have created a “master” Dorico file set up with (most) of what I would need to compose music. I have routed Vienna Ensemble Pro instances with the correct port and channel numbers. I have assigned the correct expression maps, etc. All good.

Now, I saved each endpoint configuration like so:

Right now, for reasons, I have not assigned some instrumentsto a VEPro instance:

As a test to see whether the playback template works as expected, I delete all the VEPro instances, then apply the Playback Template to see whether each instrument is assigned the correct VEPro instance, routing and channel number, expression map, etc. But two things happen:

1. Multiple new VEPro instances are made that weren’t originally there (i.e., several extra String instances, among others).

2. Dorico assigns these newly made VEPro instances to the originally blank instruments (Violin 1b in the pic) and messes up the original routing for the instruments that weren’t blank. The expression maps are not filled in either. Does Dorico save that information in the custom endpoint configuration, or is that not included?

I was hoping I could use custom endpoint configuration and playback templates to save some time fiddling with this tech and get down to making some music. Some extra questions:

• Why is Dorico creating new extra VEPro instances? I even tried assigning “Dorico Beep” to the empty instruments, and still the problem persists.
  • Why aren’t the expression maps being saved?
  • Out of curiosity, why must I delete each VEPro in the reverse order of how they were added (i.e., 13-Strings, then 12-Strings, etc).

When you save an endpoint configuration, Dorico will only save the endpoints that are fully qualified, i.e. they have an instrument assigned; even if you choose the desired expression map or percussion map for a particular channel, Dorico will only save it if it’s also connected to a specific instrument in the project.

Dorico is not as sophisticated as it might ideally be in being able to assign multiple identical instruments within a multi-timbral instance, and it can end up loading additional instances unnecessarily.

You might find it preferable to instead save your master project as a project template and start new projects from that file, rather than starting with an arbitrary project, adding instruments, and relying on the dynamic assignment of endpoint configurations in your playback template.