Help with reducing play-back distortion

Yes the performance meter hasn’t really changed yet

interesting - if you reset the red overload light - does it light back up when you play something ?

The overload light does not turn on until I play back a recording. If I tun on the input monitoring and try to play something the performance meter goes up a little bit but the overload light stays off.
Screenshot 2021-01-28 143811

most of this is guesswork (obviously!)

The first (free) thing I would do is leave cubase running - and keep playing…use taskmanager and kill anything you don’t like the look of…basically anything you can - you’re gonna need to reboot at the end of it so don’t worry about breaking anything.

We’re just going to try stop anything that might be causing problems - just in case…keep playing and see if you can find stopping something that helps.

I have zero doubt your PC is perfectly capable of running amplitube - I use it at 32 samples just fine. Cubase is a pretty inefficient host but it’s not unusable like you are finding.

BUT I’m 99% sure that the issue is your audio interface - its 15 (?) years old and the drivers are from 2011.

You say it’s working in other DAWS - which ones are those ?
Are you able to borrow a modern alternative to test ?
Can you try a different USB port ? (just in case)
Try using ASIO4ALL - (just in case)

I think I’d have to agree with you on the claim that it’s my auido interface, I was actually thinking of getting a new one a little while ago since I got this one from a friend and I didn’t have the cash for one at the time but now I’m in the position where I can get a nice one so I might have to go and do that. I’m assuming you’d recommend I go with a Scarlet for a new interface.

I tried it out on the Free version of FL a while ago and remeber it working pretty well but going back to it now it doesn’t sound that great either still better than Cubase though oddly enough.

Changing USB ports didn’t really provide different results and switching to ASIO4ALL actually made the playback come though very clean so if that doesn’t pin point things towards my AI then I’m not sure what else would LOL.

yes - cubase isn’t the most efficient host but it doesn’t explain what you experienced.

If ASIO4ALL worked better than the AVID ASIO drivers then yes - that’s fairly conclusive - ASIO4ALL is normally much worse than native drivers and is for ‘emergency use only’

Those focusrite things are pretty good, especially for the price - I got one for a friend to use VST connect - If you had a little more money then the MOTU M2 is very good too - and runs a low latency with reasonable driver.

please report back with your findings - it really helps other users…

1 Like

Alright to give a bit of closure to all this,

I bought the MOTU M2 as that looked to be the best for me and the problem was completly obliterated. I am no longer having any play back bugs and the overall buffer size at which I can both play and listen to is now even lower sitting at about 128 samples.

I really have no other issues to keep persuing now so to anyone reading with an MBox 2 that’s most likely your problem.

2 Likes