Help with slurs colliding with staccato dots

As you can see, I am having some issues with slurs colliding with dots. Dorico puts the combination of dots and slurs on the stem side, but it is more common in string writing to place them as I have them. Unfortunately, then they collide. I’ve looked at the engraving options for slurs and collisions, but I don’t see anything that would help me automate this.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
Best,
Scott

Have you tried playing with endpoint positioning parameters?

May help.

2 Likes

It would be interesting to see this project, @sdb2. Can you cut it down to just a few affected bars and attach it here?

Piatti - 5.dorico (1.8 MB)
Thanks, Daniel. Here are a few from the start of the section, it goes on for quite a while.

Please let me know if there’s a way I can fix this without adjusting each one manually.

Loving the new update, thanks for that also!

This is a bit of a subtle one. Dorico is ending up treating these slurs as “inner slurs”, i.e. slurs that are not between the outermost notes on either side of the staff, and hence they don’t get automatically routed around protrusions. Fortunately this is easy to fix: select the slurs that are colliding, and in Engrave mode, activate the Avoid collisions property, and activate the checkbox.

1 Like