Help with Tuplet Ratios

You cannot specify two different values in the tuplet popover, that’s why 1h=2e doesn’t work. Craig gave you the working answer (and Mark just before this post)
I don’t agree with Romanos, I find the use of tuplets quite enjoyable in Dorico (once you know the tricks). Make sure the signposts are visible. I created a macro to hide number and bracket and renamed it, so that it stays in my macro menu. Very useful. Anyway, with the signposts, you can alt-click them or use r (repeat).

2 Likes

Yes, @Craig_F gave the answer right at the start of this thread.

You have to express both sides of the ratio using the same unit, so “two quarters in the time of one quarter” will work.

If you need a non-dotted half in the space of three eighths, it would be 4:3e, i.e. “four eighths in the time of three eighths”.

If you need a dotted half in the space of two eighths, it would be 3:1q, i.e. “three quarters in the time of one quarter”.

And so on. You won’t have any problems achieving this notation in Dorico using tuplets.

5 Likes

I agree—I find tuplets quite nice to work with, and they allow for very good results.

And that was the piece I didn’t understand—that the two sides of the ratio have to be expressed with the same denominator. Many thanks!

And you’re quite right—no issues achieving the desired result.

1 Like

Well, maybe a clarification is in order… I don’t like workarounds that don’t semantically represent the music whenever possible. Call it a character flaw of mine. One of my favorite things about Dorico is that so many things can be done natively that cannot in other programs (though this specific example certainly is a good use case for Score, where this can be done natively).

It’s also part of my overall desire to learn more of Dorico than what I do every day. So my reaction to the various methods offered was not because they had no value—as I’ve used many of the same techniques in various ways over the years—but because I wanted to learn how the tuplet ratios worked. Now that I have, I have another tool in my toolbelt. As I suspected, there was a piece of the puzzle I was missing.

3 Likes