help with UR22 setup

Hi.
New to the forum and fairly new to this whole home studio stuff.

I’ve just purchased a UR22 audio interface and could really do with some advice on setting it up properly.
I’ve managed to get everything set up and working but i don’t think i’m getting it’s full capabilities…

The DAW i’m using is the latest version of reaper with guitar rig 5. I currently have my ASIO configuration at
96khz sample rate and 512 samples buffer size. This gives me the best sound without any irregular noises or interference.
Im also using the line 1 with a balanced cable.

What i need to know is if 196khz will give me a better sound quality and how to go about it.
Will i need an unbalanced cable going into line 2 for a better sound?
Does the DAW i’m using have any effect? (would steinbergs cubase be better?)

Any help you guys could give me would be greatly appreciated! Like i say, i’m a bit of a noob at this sort of stuff!

Thanks!

Are you talking about recording directly from guitar to interface? If so, you should be using a standard (mono) guitar cable plugged into Input 2 of the UR22 with the “HI-Z” button engaged.

96 is most likely already overkill for your situation, and probably causing extra strain on your system. Just my opinion, of course … I normally work at 44.1/32 float. You will find many different ideas about the benefits of higher sample rates.

As far as your DAW software of choice goes, it shouldn’t really matter. Your UR22 came with Cubase AI, correct? Give it a shot :wink: !

Kind of off topic, but you might also want to check out the free version of AmpliTube from IK Multimedia if you haven’t already. Always nice to have more weapons in your arsenal.

Thanks for the reply!
I am recording directly into the interface.
I’ve yet to do some proper recording so will give it a go at 96 and lower to see the results.
Forgot all about Cubase AI, will give that a shot too. Read some reviews, heard it’s pretty good.

Thanks again!