Hi Timo - question about RAM dumping.

In my experience they do work fine…but removing them seemed to solve the “running out of ram” issue with other plugins. Without them…I was able to continue loading plugins like normal. I’m very interested to see your results.

Hi,

Apart from possible problems from different plugins. This issue with not releasing RAM is famous in OS X.
It happens with Cubendo, ProTools, Adobe CC (especially bad here).

To work around it without closing Cubendo nor reboot the Mac, issue this command from a terminal:

sudo purge

Also having a clean install as possible also helps. It is a rumour that OS X can handle anything. Loads of stuff installed have small daemons that just eats RAM. Since Cubendo is working against CoreAudio all the time in OS X, it is important to not have weird extra gizmos installs that f/()ks with coreaudio, this also can eat a lot.

All this being said, I still wish Cubendo could use more RAM. I have 64GB in my trashcan.

When I work in long sessions I do a sudo purge command maybe two times a day, and always after closing a project.

Best,

I’ve had similar issues with loading and unloading projects…my templates are quite large and it’s often better to quit and load another session than attempt to unload and then load another.
I’ve had some success with setting up virtual instruments in VEP Pro instead.

It would be better if Nuendo would move to a framework where plug-ins are loaded in separate processes from Nuendo itself. This could also alleviate the problem that if a plug-in crashes, it does’t take the entire session with it.

This is somewhat similar I believe, to what Daniel Spreadbury was referring to in one of his blogs with the new Dorico application, where parts of the program are run as separate (parallel) processes in order to stop the main application from slowing down on heavy loads.

Although Kontakt doesn’t work in exactly this way, it does use an external memory manager on the Mac in which it loads the samples, which keeps it separate from Nuendo memory (I believe in the past this was done to overcome the 32 bit addressing issue).

This is true for VST3 plugins. I only use VST3 plugins now. If they aren’t in VST3 and also isn’t behaving good in VST3, I don’t buy them.

P

Hi everyone,

I’ve just read through most of the posts of the first page and I shall mention here that there is and was nothing such as a known issue when dealing with projects that use a lot of RAM (regardless the 32-bit limit of course but that is an issue up to the OS, not us).
As mentioned somewhere in this thread, Nuendo asks to allocate or free RAM, nothing magic or complex here beyond what a plugin could allocate on its own.
What is known though is that switching between projects during one Nuendo/Cubase session can sometimes turn out to bring instability or crashes… at least up to Cubase 7/Nuendo 6, as of today the main past problems have been theoretically addressed for the time being.

My problem is that I couldn’t find out what your current symptoms are basically. Does your second project crash?
If any crash happens when switching projects they should be reported to us but it’s got nothing to do with the fact that Nuendo had to free a lot of RAM beforehand.

Cheers

it’s gotta be fixed. I get made fun of by some of the people I collaborate with.

That’s surely not the situation we want you to face when using our piece of software but keep in mind that there are several people loading and unloading Nuendo projects every day in our headquarters and if there was something like a known general issue when doing this we’d be already aware of it.

So once again: make it crash and send me the crash dump and the project(s) in pm.

Thanks for your cooperation! :slight_smile:

Hi!
Headlands, You are not alone on this issue. When switching between 2 Projects, it ALWAYS crashes. Please let me know how this Works out for you.
Using: Macbook Pro Retina, Cubase 7.5.
Thanks!

Hi Shape01.

Same advise. Send us the crash dump in pm otherwise there’s nothing we can do.

Cheers,