Hi will the day ever come for a request for Cubase to support 2 sound cards ???

Hi will the day ever come for a request for Cubase to support 2 sound cards ???
if No , why not ??

To what purpose?

one to record inputs one to send out , which will also reduce strain and latency on the sound cards >???

If you are working with Mac, you can create a virtual audio device in Audio/Midi setup with 2 sound cards (or 3 or more).

After that you can select the virtual audio device in Cubase, having available the inputs and outputs you choosed in the Audio/Midi setup.

I don’t know if it’s possible with Windows

Thankx , informative , but virtual will still tax the processors n chips on the single sound card , and i m PC win 10 , i believe Cake walk had that years ago …

Perhaps I do not understand the problem and view it too simple, but …

What I can say is, that with Cubase and Asio4All drivers, multiple soundcards work without problems. Am using here a 7.1.4 speaker set up, which uses two 8ch soundcards (1x on-board, 1x USB) to route the 12 channels of a single output bus. For testing purposes, I had even a 3rd and 4th soundcard activated.

LG, Juergi

I’d like this option.

In my case I have an audio interface - AudioFuse as my main interface - but would also like to have my guitar amp sim box - a Line6 HX Stomp - able to appear as an interface too - in order to be able to directly get a signal from that.

As I am on OSX this can be done in other waits via aggregated interfaces - but maybe its also good to have Cubase just do it internally

Hi , i belive all the above multiple sound card is core audio thats Mac only ?? not windows ?? or is it now implemented in windows too ??

Actually, I was just thinking about this the other day. It’s not like a top priority request for me or anything, but I think it would be really cool to be able to use 2 or more different audio interfaces with cubase at the same time.

As TSJuS said above,

It would mostly be to expand inputs and outputs without having to buy a larger audio interface that you may not like as much as the one(s) you already have. It perhaps could also make the processing easier on each like the OP said. There might be some other uses that I can’t think of this second… I don’t think it’s super necessary but it would be neat

Thought that it would ultimately , work around the latency issues , n use , Cubase effects for monitoring as well as tax the system (PC) less… i believe even the Thunderbolt protocol didnt exactly achieve that … yet …

Well if it could significantly improve CPU speeds/loads then I’m all for it. I mean, I think it would be cool regardless, but definitely if it could speed things up.

In fact, for me this opportunity is critical. Every week I go live on YouTube, and for this I take every channel from the digital mixing console to Logic Pro (32 channels, a separate mix for the air, regardless of the sound balance in the music hall), and I need to give it to another device via HDMA. In the settings, I have one device on the input (mixer), and another on the output (hdma device). I would love to use Cubase for this purpose, but he does not allow this …

Asio4all has an issue with clocking, stability and latency though. It’s also causes crackles much sooner than using my interfaces’ native Asio driver. I wouldn’t use it with multiple interfaces for anything serious. It might work if they were physically connected via wordclock but lots of the cool small interfaces like my Apogee Duet which has great converters, doesn’t have wordclock in and out. Nor does my Apollo Twin. It’s not such a crazy request considering the Apollo Twin mk2 has no wordclock or digital out but the mk2 makes an excellent monitor controller with talkback and everything however, the converters aren’t as good as the top end converters and not even as good as the ones in my Apogee Duet but with no digital out, I can’t combine them. I also have an Aphex USB 500 that I could connect at the same time if there wouldn’t be clocking and latency issues. I use analogue cables from the USB500 going to an Adat converter and then Adat into the Apollo twin which is clocked over ADAT. If Cubase did actually support two sound cards at a time and could clock them to each other at the driver level, I would not need the massive ADAT converter rack which is larger than the Apollo Twin and Aphex 500 combined.

So I think it would be useful for me and most other older engineers that have older interfaces sitting around unused. Sometimes they’re not worth much on ebay so you just keep them but to be able to plug them in if you need extra inputs, that would be cool. It would also allow people to just go on ebay and buy some older interfaces to add to the input devices instead of upgrading their present interface I think though, all the interfaces will probably need a new driver standard that allows communication between devices were wordclock is basically sent via thunderbolt, firewire or USB to the connected devices.

I’m sure Steinberg COULD make it, since they made ASIO in the first place. I’m not sure they will actually do it. I think it would require some sort of ASIO 2.0

Sometimes drivers for 1 interface can get sketchy. Now imagine two or more simultaneously. Now imagine troubleshooting the infinite amount of possibilities, considering all the possible combinations of all interfaces in the market, current and past, and the strain it would cause to customer support of every related hardware manufacturer and software developer. I feel dizzy just thinking about it.

Sorry man but that’s a terrible idea. :smiley:

I would love to be able to use both my Apollo Twin as main interface for my speaker monitors and recording vocals and my Line6 Helix as secondary interface for recording guitar and re-amping.

On Windows. The ASIO4ALL “solution” doesn’t really work. You lose access to all the special functionality, like the Console app for Apollos and you get much worse latency.

Agree to 100%. I would not even want to think about the mess having to deal with 2 different drivers, and then think about what the Steinberg support would have to deal with. :confused:
And I dont really see the benefits here too. Most interfaces have ADAT connections or DSUB or AES. If you need some more inputs, just add a respective 8 channel preamp. You can have them in all price ranges. And it is for sure a cleaner solution than hooking up 2 different interfaces with 2 different drivers! And on top of that: adat devices are usually cheaper than interfaces of the same preamp quality.
One of the most important things while working with music/recording is stability, having a DAW which is rock solid and does not crash.
There are 3 main reasons why DAWs crash, and thats

• 3rd party plugins
  • interface/audio drivers
  • OS/the DAW itself

or a combination of those. So why adding more problems?

well here we go guys , Thunderbolt didnt achive this yet . lets not bluff our self , we are still light years away from , was it 40/60/70/s hardware thats was latency free… n thunder futher complicated it with a mix up of so many protocols , that may actually , damage ur gear if u r not technical, n carefull … if cake walk had this feature years ago , why not Cubase for a dedicated user for years asking 4 this feature also years ago… n specially in todays generation of entrepreneurs … looks like any thing is possible , even trump who believes that that wind power n global warming is a hoax wins … why not 2 sound cards … a Steinberg UR 2X I/o for out puts , n multi channel Sound card 4 inputs , Steinberg , sell more sound cards n wins as well … customers keep using their older PC … now less taxed … sound cards are not overloaded to do tasks … every one is happy … have a gr8 evening guys… ws