Hidden notes in worksheet dictation questions

I am enjoying how much easier flows can make the creation of worksheets.

I am yet to discover the way to hide chunks of music in dictation-style questions e.g. two and a half bars of given music ending with, say, a quaver with a hanging beam, then five beats where no rests or notes appear (just barlines and the stave lines) for student completion, then the music continues again (perhaps picking up from a beamed quaver).

I have played with opacity/colour settings but I cannot seem to get these to affect the stems which will always be black.

Any help gratefully received.

The only workaround you can employ at the moment would be also to select the notes whose stems are still visible, and using the Properties panel set the ‘Stem length adjustment’ property to -3.5, which should make the stems effectively disappear. Proper stemless notes are on our list to be added soon.

Thanks, Daniel. For some reason, this isn’t working for me in the attached example, possibly because of the beaming (but ‘split secondary beam’ will note toggle on for some reason). I know you aren’t keen on hidden objects, but it would be really useful from an educator’s perspective to be able to be able to change the colour/opacity of any item to highlight / blank out / differentiate different elements of score.

Yes, unfortunately you can really only use the stem length trick with unbeamed notes longer than an eighth.

I agree with the need to easily hide things for educational purposes (I’m a university professor in composition). One case for example is figured bass harmony exercises. In Sibelius, I would write out the bass voice, then harmonize the whole thing in 4 parts to create an answer sheet. Then I can filter and hide the 3 upper voices to print out the assignment sheet, and unhide them to print the answer sheet - it’s all in the same file.

In Dorico so far I created an assignment file, then save as as an “answer” file and complete that one, but then I need to keep both in sync if I make a change.

I also have the case where part of the figured bass would be given, but part would be free to harmonize by the student - ideally I would put notes/rests to have the right music spacing, but hide them to leave it open for the homework.

In composition classes, I’m also teaching correct notation, and one could even think of a case where I would like to hide some required elements and have the students correct the example by filling in missing notation elements.

So there are cases where we would want on purpose something that was not perfect notation destined for performers.

Wouldn’t separate layouts be useful to keep all your material together.

• Layout 1: Figured bass and realization (answer sheet).
  • Layout 2: Figured bass and empty staves (without rests) above for student use.

(Of course I may have misunderstood what you need.)

I thought about it, and it works if there are different staves, but would that solution work for a “vocal score” reduction (unless I don’t know something):

Same principle, but you would probably have to copy/paste the figured bass into a second T/B line (to add the tenor part) for the solution layout.
sampleProj.dorico.zip (286 KB)
(Just delete the dot-zip extension to open; the file isn’t really zipped.)

Hmm yes indeed. There’s still some copy/pasting involved, but at least it’s in the same project file. Thanks for the tip!